Hair line fracture to the wing of the pedal bone

Tracey R

New User
Visit site
Hi
My boy who's a 15.1 cob has been on 3 months box rest for a hair line fracture to the wing of the pedal bone front right foot. He's due to go back for an x ray on 15th March to see if it's healed. He was only 1/10th lame on a hard circle but fine in a straight line.
He's had a bar shoe on that's been changed every 5 weeks and insurance paid out straight away.

Has anyone else experienced the same injury and if so was your horse ok or did you experience any issues after box rest.
Also any advice on how to deal with getting him back in shape and how's best to introduce him to grazing and turn out again.

He's been so good on box rest until the last week or so where he's started to get cranky but nothing major, just dragging me to the empty stable across from his.

I'm starting to worry about him going back to be x rayed and it's not healed or worse 🙄.

Thanks Tracey x

Steerpike

Visit site
Yes, I've had a horse with a hairline fracture on the wing of his pedal bone, he was box rested then I built a stable sized turnout pen in the field for him to go in during the day, I gradually made it bigger. Also started walking him in hand before he went out in the pen. He was a very sensible horse though and came back into full work.

Carrottom

Visit site
I knew a racehorse who had similar, it healed well and he went back into work, regular hunting and ran in a couple of points with no problems.
Might be good to speak with vet about return to grazing as they may suggest a little sedative to start with. They should also be able to give you a schedule for returning to work.

jj_87

Visit site
Hi,
My mare's wasn't a hair line fracture, more like the had broken the whole end of the wing off. She had a cast on for 8 weeks and then a bar shoe which actually made her lamer than the fracture, the foot needed to adjust again so it was almost 10 months after the fracture when she was turned out full of dope in a very small paddock where I left her for a month so she could remember how to be a horse again.

Prior to turnout she went from complete box rest to increasing walking out my minutes a day.

During her rehab we had her out to water treadmill as it was the best way of controlling her exercise. - I did try to get back on before turnout, but as shes a very hot quirky horse I gave up for self preservation and waited for Turnout.

Personally I never ever want to go through that ordeal again so have taken the pressure off her by being a happy hacker.
Comfrey and Arc helped I think!

Good luck, any questions just shout :)

Tracey R

New User
Visit site
Hi
Thanks everyone . I've asked the farmer at our yard to fence off a small sized pen for me but as of yet this hasn't been started. Masons been great on box rest . As long as he has hay (soaked of course) and a few pony nuts in his boredom ball and water he's happy.

I'd be very happy if the vet said he could be a happy hacker ,also he's only 7 and I did want to compete , I wouldn't want him to end up being injured.

Fingers crossed for Friday 15th March. Can't wait to mot muck out twice a day ,I know that's still far away yet but I can't wait.

I'll keep you posted and thank you for your advice.

Tracey and Mason x x

piglet2001

Visit site
I have. 2 months field rest with bar shoes and returned to hacking in all paces. Was already semi retired. Hope yours is ok.