Half-rubber reins

SpeedyPony

Visit site
People that have used the half-rubber hunter/show reins, how thick/flexible are they?
I currently use laced leather reins, which are lovely but can be a bit slippy in the rain. I'm not keen on the fully rubber covered reins, as they are rather too thick and unwieldy for my liking (not that I'm fussy, you understand ?) so I wondered if these would be a good compromise.
My local tack shop doesn't stock them, so I can't have a look "in the flesh" so as to speak and I don't want to shell out and order some if they're going to be as thick/inflexible as the rubber covered type.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Thanks, will have a gander at the biogrips! :)
Something tells me I'm going to get plenty of suitable weather for trying out the grippyness of new reins... ??‍♀️

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I like the biogrip ones too, find them very flexible. I've got some half rubber reins that came with a cheap bridle. They are fairly thin and much more flexible than traditional rubber reins. However i don't use them much as reins and stirrup leathers and two things I tend to upgrade as I am paranoid about breaking at speed.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
I’ve got half leather half rubber grip - they’re from psofsweden and I really like them. They’re very flexible, probably as much as most leather reins, but the grip is useful. They’re not super cheap but they have been worth it.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I always use half rubber reins and have done for years. I think years ago the cheaper ones used to be quite thick and rigid, but my current ones are of the cheaper variety but lovely.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Thanks for the replies!
Well, in a moment of madness I've ordered some biogrips and a cheap pair of half-rubber reins that I found online.
Will see how I get on with them :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I liked the "Equus" ones........ they were really nice to hold!!

I did have - a long time ago with my old boy - some reins which were leather but which had a leather grip lining to them; and I used to find the rubber lining never lasted very long and I was having to replace them quite regularly. A shame though as they were lovely reins!

I have a pair of the Performance Equestrian synthetic reins (like Marmite, you'll either love them or hate 'em), and find they are good!

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I use thin half rubber reins on the snaffle ring of my pelham & find them flexible & just grippy enough whilst at the same time they allow me to be sensitive with my hands - not tried them on other bits - love laced reins until it comes cleaning them ?