Halflingers

Tabbi

Visit site
Hi, I would like peoples opinions on Halflingers, as a first time horse buyer would like peoples views on this breed. I am looking for a horse that is a weight carrier but has to be gentle as I want my too young boys to be around the horse.
Thanks

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
They are Haflingers (not halflingers, they are whole ones:)))

They are great for an adult rider and mine is very very gentle. However they are cobby so can be stubborn and have a slightly evil way with children on the ground as they see them as something to boss.....Riding wise they are very good with children in my experience.

So with your supervision they would be great for you and the boys esp as they are up to most weights and also wide so they take up boys long dangly legs well.

Tabbi

Visit site
sorry ...... I noticed I spelt it wrong as I clicked on "confirm"! how embaressing seeing that I work in an office and spend quite a bit of time typing! lol

thanks for your comments
smile.gif

Tabbi

Visit site
thanks, lots of different views on the threads. In two minds of going to have a look at the one I have seen now!

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Used to have one and I belonged to the Haffie Society for a few years. By and large, they are steady, reliable, strong and long lived. They can turn their hooves to just about anything and were in great demand from the army as reliable pack animals. BUT my experience is that they can be bl00dy stubborn, full of attitude, prefer the company of other horses to people, are a damn sight faster than you expect and can buck at an Olympic level. They are truly gorgeous though!

carys220

Visit site
Mine loves people who have treats!
grin.gif
I think she has a mistrust of humans because of the way she was bought/came into the country. She is slowly trusting us now but the people we bought her off couldn't catch her!
tongue.gif
She has bonded with my other ponies very well and they accepted her a lot quicker than they do other horses.