Hampshire people - need your support!! Bridleway related...

catwithclaws

Visit site

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I would like to help, but I really don't do Facebook. Is there anything else I can do? Where else can I read information? Thanks.

Dollysox

Visit site
This might give you a bit more information Magnetic Sparrow:
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/countryside/meonvalleytrail.htm

This is the old Wickham Railway Line, which is about the only decent safe bridleway of any length in our area. They are currently digging up the soft, slightly muddy, natural surface and replacing it with compacted hardcore and gravel, and Alearing trees and coppices that run alongside the line. They are trying to turn it into a "Trail" with flat and firm access for walkers, buggies, cyclists - oh, and horseriders too, at a walk. They are actively encouraging "carriage drivers" onto it - we have a lot of trotters locally who love racing up and down the roads in groups - and they have done all of this with very little communication with the local users, despite having gone through a "consultation".

Apparently it would seem that it is absolutely fine for everyone else to use our few remaining bridleways, but we are still not allowed to use their cycle paths and footpaths. The work they have done already has ruined the section that they have completed, and we are trying to stop them going any further until there has been a proper consultation with everyone.

Finlib

Visit site
I used to ride the railway line many years ago and it was lovely and gave access to lots of other bridleways .The surface was ideal for riding on .I moved away from the area in 1982 but really feel sorry for the riders in the area who are loosing a valuable off road facility.
I do not 'do' Facebook ' but if the petition is available elsewhere I will happily sign it .
Riders have few enough bridleways without loosing them .Horses are not allowed on cycle paths or footpaths why should bridleways be sacrificed in this way.
I have happy memories of cantering up that railway line to Droxford and Mislingford.
So sorry it may be lost.

Jazzy B

Visit site
Another wretched council destroying yet another decent bridlepath! Warwickshire Council where I live have also carried out similar "maintenance" works to a few to make them more "user friendly'!

Might not have been able to save the one that I also tried to even tried to the press involved but I've signed yours! Good luck!!!

Come on BHS stop sitting around and start doing something proactive! This is the stuff you should be campaigning about and preventing because sooner or later we will be all confined to menages as we will have nowhere safe to hack!!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
What is the status of this route on the definitive map of the area?
I would suggest it must be higher than bridleway if they are allowing carriage drivers to use it so I would suspect it may be a restricted byway?
Have you got the assistance of your local BHS Access Officer who will be able to help you?
We had a lot of problems in this area with vehicles using a byway which made it impassable on horseback due to deep mud and rutting. We obtained a downgrading of the route from byway to restricted byway and the entire route was re-surfaced in a similar way but with a membrane underneath to preserve Roman remains. Initially the surface was hard but after several years it has become softened due to the addition of organic matter and soil on top of it and we have a surface again that one can canter along but does not get muddy at all.

catwithclaws

Visit site
What is the status of this route on the definitive map of the area?ll.

I believe it is currently a bridleway however the council want to change it to a public byway - hence trying to stop the work as they have decided to literally turn it into a road - similar surface and all :( it's such a lovely place to go, so quiet and rural and they want to trash it

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
Good morning, all

Here's just a small part of what our Access team achieved last year. Hopefully it will reassure everyone that we're not sitting around! :) http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/p...4/bhs-2014-achievements-round-up-summary#AROW

At a local level, we have a network of Access Officers throughout the country who are there specifically to help with issues like this and protect and promote access for all. These are dedicated, trained and knowledgeable individuals who understand issues from an equestrian POV. You can find your local Access Officers by checking out your area's Committee lists at www.bhs.org.uk/bhs-in-your-area, or by emailing access@bhs.org.uk.

At a national level, our Access and Rights of Way team at HQ supports our Access Officers and coordinates our training and larger-scale campaigning and lobbying, among other things. We're currently ramping up for Access Week 2015 in May, which is something we'd encourage everyone to get involved in - check out the website to see what fun rides and other activities are going on in your area.

It's vital to emphasise that we're dedicated to protecting and promoting equestrian access, but unless equestrians get involved in their own area, there's a limit to how much we can do. It might sound far off, but 2026 is approaching more quickly than anyone might think.

Why is 2026 important? In 2000, the Countryside and Rights of Way Act was introduced in England and Wales. Section 53 of the Act provides for a cut-off date in 2026, which means that many historic routes of use to horse riders and carriage drivers will be extinguished if they are not formally recorded as a bridleway or restricted byway.

Just because you currently ride on a route doesn’t mean it’s recorded and protected from extinguishment. That’s a frightening thought as there are some areas with very few recorded routes and 2026 is closer than you think.

This is a major point of campaigning for us and something we're working hard on - but we need everyone's help. Take a look at www.bhs.org.uk/2026 to see what you can do to help safeguard your routes, and download a toolkit to get you started.

Dollysox

Visit site
We have currently got just over 300 signatures in 24 hours. Please keep this near the top and please can you share with your friends as well? I understand that the local BHS Access Officer has had some involvement but I'm not sure how much her views were listened to or how much she was able to influence the decisions.

jojo5

Visit site
I also have great memories of hundreds of rides along 'the railway' with some fantastic canter stretches, (where it was sensible to do so) and some beautiful wooded parts. Riding in that area is seriously compromised by mountain bikers in particular - the forestry commission Forest of Bere used to be free to hordes of cyclists (who thought nothing of cycling at speed in groups round corners and straight towards horses) whilst riders had to pay a fee - I have nothing against other people's sports, but they should respect mine as well. I know there will be tons of bikers jumping to their defence, but I really have nothing against them or anyone else using country routes - it's just that horse riders often come last in consideration. Now where's that petition!!