Handheld dog repellent

merlo89

Visit site
Has anyone ever come across them before? Do they even work?

I came across someone using one on my dog whilst I was walking him on his lead! She had her own dog with her and was pointing it at mine

My dog is not aggressive in any way! Just a large playful puppy, who is very bouncy!!!!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Has anyone ever come across them before? Do they even work?

I came across someone using one on my dog whilst I was walking him on his lead! She had her own dog with her and was pointing it at mine

My dog is not aggressive in any way! Just a large playful puppy, who is very bouncy!!!!!

Yes when I was nearly blind after an eye operation I carried a very high frequency dog repellent because of the fear of being tripped up. It works on some not on others.

I frankly felt utterly fed up with people who did not realise what a threat their "large playful bouncy" dogs are if they approach within kicking distance of a disabled person or one who is terrified of dogs.

I am also sick of being out on walks and being approached by dogs on a long lead or tripped up by the long lead of an owner who thinks just because they are on a lead they are in control of their dogs.

If your dog got close enough to worry someone into using a dog repellent, then it got too close.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
I'm afraid anyone using any kind of handheld repellent on one of my dog, would meet one of my own ...
View attachment 29991

Nobody would use one if they didn't find the dog a threat. How about having some empathy with why someone might be finding a dog a threat?

Oh and by the way, a repellent is legal to carry and use. Your baseball bat is not.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Apologies if i touched a nerve ... my comment was tongue in cheek (FYI, i've never committed GBH .. although if someone actually harmed any of my dogs ...). Seriously tho, i understand some people may not like or be afraid of dogs, & i would never put anybody in a position of being made to feel uncomfortable because of my animals. What sort of repellants are people using?

ycbm

Visit site
LOL, lighten up, it was tongue in cheek (FYI, i've never committed GBH .. although if someone harmed any of my dogs i might!). Seriously tho, i understand some people may not like or be afraid of dogs, & i would never put anybody in a position of being made to feel uncomfortable because of my animals. What sort of repellants are people using?

Sorry, but I still have vivid memories of being mostly blind and sworn at by dog owners who I politely asked to control their animals so they could not trip me up. It's not a joke to me.

I carried a very high frequency noise maker. Outside human hearing range. Most dogs turned back from it when it was pointed at them. The hostile reaction of owners of dogs which reacted to it was very upsetting.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
I understand now, hence my apologies. If any of my dogs approached someone when called back, i wouldn't have any issue with them being reprimanded in that way ... high frequency, a blast of air, or similar. My friend had an incident where someone, whom i'm guessng didn't like dogs, but hadn't asked her to call her dog back, kicked her dog in the face as he was cycling past.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
I understand now, hence my apologies. If any of my dogs approached someone when called back, i wouldn't have any issue with them being reprimanded in that way ... high frequency, a blast of air, or similar. My friend had an incident where someone, whom i'm guessng didn't like dogs, but hadn't asked her to call her dog back, kicked her dog in the face as he was cycling past.

Thanks for the apology.

Can you see what a danger to a cyclist a dog is if it's close enough to kick? No cyclist should have to request an owner to call off a dog.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Whatever the rights and wrongs, if my dog was close enough to somebody that they were able to use a dog repellent on them, it would be too close IMO. It's our job as owners not to put them in that sort of situation.

I've a breed that a lot of people are wary of, one I used to drop for passing walkers, joggers, cyclists etc to reassure them, he's retired now so I just keep him on the lead. The other one I recall and put on a lead as he does love people and not everyone wants to say hi to a large, unfamiliar dog.

I biked with a dog and the amount of times we were chased/harrassed was insane.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Thanks for the apology.

Can you see what a danger to a cyclist a dog is if it's close enough to kick? No cyclist should have to request an owner to call off a dog.

You're welcome. It was insensitive of me, & i wasn't really looking at it from a different angle or thinking about the whys. I guess you are going from your experiences, i am going from mine (or rather, my friends). In this case, i rather think the cyclist probably put himself more at risk by taking his feet away from his bike to deliver such a hefty kick to the dogs head. The area it happened is a narrow bridle/cycle/walking path & the problem with cyclists approaching from behind is you don't even realise they are there until they are literally on top of you ... it causes horses to spook too ... some cyclists do ring their bell on approach which is helpful as it allows dog owners to call in their dogs, or horse riders to make sure their horses don't get suddenly startled.

merlo89

Visit site
Yes when I was nearly blind after an eye operation I carried a very high frequency dog repellent because of the fear of being tripped up. It works on some not on others.

I frankly felt utterly fed up with people who did not realise what a threat their "large playful bouncy" dogs are if they approach within kicking distance of a disabled person or one who is terrified of dogs.

I am also sick of being out on walks and being approached by dogs on a long lead or tripped up by the long lead of an owner who thinks just because they are on a lead they are in control of their dogs.

If your dog got close enough to worry someone into using a dog repellent, then it got too close.

My MIL who regularly handles and walks my dog is blind in one eye and not the most confident. So I get where you are coming from.

He is kept on a short lead when passing people, because of his size and playfulness (he was also attacked previously by a loose dog). This person was about 30m away from me and on a well known dog walking path at peak time.

ycbm

Visit site
My MIL who regularly handles and walks my dog is blind in one eye and not the most confident. So I get where you are coming from.

He is kept on a short lead when passing people, because of his size and playfulness (he was also attacked previously by a loose dog). This person was about 30m away from me and on a well known dog walking path at peak time.

Then she over reacted. 30m is a perfectly reasonable distance. I wonder what her issue was.

ycbm

Visit site
You're welcome. It was insensitive of me, & i wasn't really looking at it from a different angle or thinking about the whys. I guess you are going from your experiences, i am going from mine (or rather, my friends). In this case, i rather think the cyclist probably put himself more at risk by taking his feet away from his bike to deliver such a hefty kick to the dogs head. The area it happened is a narrow bridle/cycle/walking path & the problem with cyclists approaching from behind is you don't even realise they are there until they are literally on top of you ... it causes horses to spook too ... some cyclists do ring their bell on approach which is helpful as it allows dog owners to call in their dogs, or horse riders to make sure their horses don't get suddenly startled.

He shouldn't have come up from behind without warning, I completely agree.