Hanging cheek bit sizing

Fransurrey

Visit site
I was told when I bought my cob that he was a 5.5" bit size, but stupidly didn't ask which bit they had used to back him. I bought a 5.5" hanging cheek with French link and he's never settled in it - overly mouthy and shakes his head sometimes in walk - and it does look small in his mouth (confirmed by second/third opinions). Currently we're in a leather headcollar with reins, so essentially sidepull bitless and he's fine in that, but as a youngster I would like him to be good with both, so looking for another bit.

I notice that most snaffles with a link/lozenge go up to 5.5" from various suppliers, but hanging cheeks I'm finding go up to 6". I don't have another bit to compare with, as my mare is 5" and the old git was always bitless. Never used a hanging cheek before (I chose it due to him being young but not strong and it being a kinder bit).

Do others find they need the next size up in a hanging cheek, or is he just a big gob cob and I have the wrong size, full stop??

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have found the opposite in the past, I think the theoretical right size tends to look a bit big o_O

Fransurrey

Visit site
I have found the opposite in the past, I think the theoretical right size tends to look a bit big o_O
Do you mean theoretical right size hanging cheek or in general? Just been browsing some more and I don't think the design of the joint between mouth piece and baucher/cheek piece helps, as it's more pinchy than a loose ring or eggbutt. I'm so out of touch with bits!!

milliepops

Visit site
Hmm what kind are you looking at? I've used some bog standard stainless ones and I also had an NS baucher and they were all smooth like an eggbut.
By theoretical I mean I tried the same size as they were wearing in normal loose ring bits, and found they appeared to be a bit on the wide side when in use.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Hmm what kind are you looking at? I've used some bog standard stainless ones and I also had an NS baucher and they were all smooth like an eggbut.
By theoretical I mean I tried the same size as they were wearing in normal loose ring bits, and found they appeared to be a bit on the wide side when in use.

Stainless steel, mostly, but if you look at them, the join of the cheek piece isn't as long as with eggbutts (where the mouthpiece ends in a 'T' at either end, meaning that it's closer to the lip in a hanging cheek. Does that make sense?

It's weird you found it the other way. I'm calling at a tack shop on the way to the yard after work, so will compare them directly, as the one I go to has the same brand as I bought.

milliepops

Visit site
it does make sense, I guess i have found them to be as smoothly finished as an eggbut so it didn't really matter. Mine measured right. They just looked too big when in the mouth. I wonder if it's because they are more stable the way they are held up in the mouth so the joints sit differently. the single joint curved mouth one I had was ridiculously huge but it did measure 5.5 just like all the other bits the horse had worn :rolleyes:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use a hanging cheek lozenge it's 5.5 same as his other bits and looks fine, I think you may need to alter how high or low it is in the mouth.

Have you tried putting it down a hole it might be a bit high?

MuddyTB

Visit site
I use a 5.5 hanging cheek and that is the same as his other bit. However, I would measure the bit carefully as I have 3 different supposed 5.5 bits, the smallest is barely 5.25 and the largest over 5.5. It seems to be an approximation depending on manufacturer/batch.