Hanging cheek waterfood snaffle

horsegirl

Visit site
I am thinking of trying one of these as I understand it is a very gentle bit and good for horses who lean on you but also you have the control if you need it. I read somewhere that you should get a size a larger than normal as it fits into the contours of the horses mouth, does anyone know if this is true?

tinker512

Visit site
I wouldn't exactly call it a very gentle bit, can be quite severe in the wrong hands, but used correctly can be a very effect bit.I suppose it is milder in the sense you have the brakes so don't ned to pull the horses back teeth out to stop, can usually have contol with a light ontact.As for leaning on you, its helps alot as the horse cant grip onto it coz of the bobbley bits
smile.gif

And yep i think I have heard that you need to get a larger size for the reason you have stated

horsegirl

Visit site
Would you say it is more gentle than a regular loose ring snaffle? I understand it does not have the nutcracker/pinching action as it has many more links.

Waterford snaffle - Doh!!

lennysmith

Visit site
I'm about to try Josie in one of these. At the moment I'm riding her in a dutch gag with 2 reins as I was having such difficulty with her grabing hold of the bit and tanking off. Or just taking me where she wants to go. She's only young and schooling will soon get ontop of this I'm sure.

She is normally in a 5in but I'm putting her in 5.5 as I read you need to have it a little larger as it needs to curl round the lips to help make the bit work properly.

Hope this helps xx

flyingfeet

Visit site
Yes it is milder than a single joint snaffle - no nutcracker or damage to the roof of the mouth.

A 0.5" size up is more important with a loose ring versions due to pinching, however waterfords bend in the mouth so a larger size is generally required. If you use a 5.25" normally go for a 5.5".