Hanging up my hunting boots for the final time.

SDMabel

Visit site
With my previous mare I did a lot of hunting with a local foxhound pack , with a really good friend and her horse. It was brilliant, we had such a fab time and met so many wonderful people through doing it , watching hounds work- catching up with everyone , it was the highlight of my week.

With current mare I've taken her bloodhounding for two seasons , its obviously very different but have met some nice people and found as someone who's not too confident jumping, we are able to jump more as there's always options next to the jump rather than a set jumping/non jumping line. Yesterday we went out and i came home quite deflated - mare was her usual foot perfect self , a little strong but mannerly on the whole. I didn't enjoy myself as it was carnage - the amount of people who cut us up coming into jumps, people with red ribbons in the middle of the field down narrow margins, people using my pony as a method of stopping, kids flying right up beside you and then unable to stop at the end.

I got back to the trailer and my partner asked how it was and I said to him, im done now. That will be our last time out , it's just not fun anymore.... I wouldn't go out with foxhounds as our local pack now (having moved) gets sabbed horrifically and they are terrible for riding over land they shouldn't be on - which causes issues when OH works on a lot of the farms.

marmalade76

Visit site
I used to go bloodhounding twenty years ago, it was fantastic but not overly popular so fields were small. I get the impression that it's become incredibly popular now so I'm not surprised to hear that it's become a bit mad.

I may not bother going out with our local pack anymore, it's changed so much having recently lost two long standing masters.

Orangehorse

Visit site
With my previous mare I did a lot of hunting with a local foxhound pack , with a really good friend and her horse. It was brilliant, we had such a fab time and met so many wonderful people through doing it , watching hounds work- catching up with everyone , it was the highlight of my week.

With current mare I've taken her bloodhounding for two seasons , its obviously very different but have met some nice people and found as someone who's not too confident jumping, we are able to jump more as there's always options next to the jump rather than a set jumping/non jumping line. Yesterday we went out and i came home quite deflated - mare was her usual foot perfect self , a little strong but mannerly on the whole. I didn't enjoy myself as it was carnage - the amount of people who cut us up coming into jumps, people with red ribbons in the middle of the field down narrow margins, people using my pony as a method of stopping, kids flying right up beside you and then unable to stop at the end.

I got back to the trailer and my partner asked how it was and I said to him, im done now. That will be our last time out , it's just not fun anymore.... I wouldn't go out with foxhounds as our local pack now (having moved) gets sabbed horrifically and they are terrible for riding over land they shouldn't be on - which causes issues when OH works on a lot of the farms.

That's a shame, if you have enjoyed it in the past. Is there another pack you could go with?

I have heard the same thing though, from people who have hunted for years, that since "the ban" general behaviour has deteriorated a lot. I think it is rather that older people have retired and the new younger ones maybe didn't come up through the Pony Club where everybody was kept in strict order, and it is a bit of a reflection of the times we live in.

Widgeon

Visit site
it is a bit of a reflection of the times we live in.

I don't hunt but some of what the OP is saying sounds familiar to me just from fun ride and group rides - people with a horse that kicks barging ahead of you on narrow margins (and then kicking out), people who can't actually stop their horse at the end of a gallop, etc. Surely they must be aware that their horse kicks, or they can't stop? And if they are aware, why are they putting themselves in that situation to start with? It's a genuine question that I puzzle over!

Friends who do hunt have said similar about a lack of respect and care for others - it just wasn't fun anymore. it was rather sad talking to them as these are people who have invested huge amounts of time into their local hunt.

SDMabel

Visit site
That's a shame, if you have enjoyed it in the past. Is there another pack you could go with?

I have heard the same thing though, from people who have hunted for years, that since "the ban" general behaviour has deteriorated a lot. I think it is rather that older people have retired and the new younger ones maybe didn't come up through the Pony Club where everybody was kept in strict order, and it is a bit of a reflection of the times we live in.

Of bloodhounds - not really locally which is a shame.

I might give it a go once more after opening meet as the caps increase in price which may put some people off.

I'm only 27 , but was taught everything from my old school BHSI mum ... not that it should come into having basic awareness of your surroundings, others and some respect .

Not one person who cut me up yesterday apologised , I just thought im paying money here for a glorified and pretty hazardous 'fun ride'

SDMabel

Visit site
I don't hunt but some of what the OP is saying sounds familiar to me just from fun ride and group rides - people with a horse that kicks barging ahead of you on narrow margins (and then kicking out), people who can't actually stop their horse at the end of a gallop, etc. Surely they must be aware that their horse kicks, or they can't stop? And if they are aware, why are they putting themselves in that situation to start with? It's a genuine question that I puzzle over!

Friends who do hunt have said similar about a lack of respect and care for others - it just wasn't fun anymore. it was rather sad talking to them as these are people who have invested huge amounts of time into their local hunt.

It was a conversation i had with my friend yesterday , surely that isn't fun for the rider either.

irishdraft

Visit site
I have the same problem with our bloodhound pack, at the moment they are autumn hunting and the cap is not to expensive & it tends to be a short day. As you say once you get past the opening meet & it tends to calm down as it's more expensive and longer days, I look for mid week meets or meets I know don't tend to get the crowds.

SDMabel

Visit site
I have the same problem with our bloodhound pack, at the moment they are autumn hunting and the cap is not to expensive & it tends to be a short day. As you say once you get past the opening meet & it tends to calm down as it's more expensive and longer days, I look for mid week meets or meets I know don't tend to get the crowds.

I shall give it a go after opening meet and see how we get on, Our local pack only meets on a sunday really and therefore tend to have large turnout as most meets.

They did a few Wednesday evenings earlier on in the season when we had the lighter evenings which were certainly more enjoyable.

Shoei

Visit site
As someone who has hunted in the past with bloodhounds, we now have the hunt cross our land and I'm always shocked by the standard of riding, manners and presentation of the field. We've also had to have conversations with the hunt about creating holes in hedges, driving eratically or on occasions not asking to cross the land. I think in the last 20 years it has definitely gone down hill!

Ratface

Visit site
How very depressing. I started hunting as a child and enjoyed it immensely. However, times change, and I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near the current version of it. The reasons being similar to those given up-thread.
Ignorant people, lack of manners and respect for others, including land owners, the countryside, hounds, hunt servants and theirs and others horses and their riders.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I gave up drag hunting for all the reasons you mention. On one of the last I did, I was pushed off my line heading to a hedge by a girl who couldn't control her horse. Luckily I remembered jumping that hedge before and I knew that straight in front of my unchosen landing there was a telegraph pole with an unguarded stay wire. It could easily have been the death of me or my horse.

SDMabel

Visit site
How very depressing. I started hunting as a child and enjoyed it immensely. However, times change, and I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near the current version of it. The reasons being similar to those given up-thread.
Ignorant people, lack of manners and respect for others, including land owners, the countryside, hounds, hunt servants and theirs and others horses and their riders.

This summarises it perfectly.... it's what it all boils down to -respect and awareness of others.

SDMabel

Visit site
I gave up drag hunting for all the reasons you mention. On one of the last I did, I was pushed off my line heading to a hedge by a girl who couldn't control her horse. Luckily I remembered jumping that hedge before and I knew that straight in front of my unchosen landing there was a telegraph pole with an unguarded stay wire. It could easily have been the death of me or my horse.

That's terrible ! I saw so much of this, instead of circling away from the field to regain control there was a large volume of riders just ploughing into the field.

We were queuing to a jump, my mare is a saint and will just stand nicely so I let those with excitable ones pop ahead , as i set off this girl came from my left hand side and cut diagonally in front of me.

So much so, little mares head ended up in my lap , she threw her head to avoid bumping into the girls horse.

She was probably late teens, judging by the stirrups, hat and general gear on horse looked like a showjumper so whether or not she was treating it like a warm up arena !

Not even a glance in my direction , nor a sorry.

It become dangerous !

Bernster

Visit site
That is sad, when it’s something you’ve enjoyed so much in the past. I haven’t been out for a couple of years but I’m hoping to go again this season. The drag hunt post lots of helpful info on their Facebook page and website about etiquette but I suppose if people are not bothered about that, they’re not going to read or adhere to it. We shall see!

Clodagh

Visit site
I gave up after the ban, not solely or even mainly because of it but because every entitled idiot with a horse came out. No interest in the countryside, no interest in learning what was old or new ley and what was wheat. Blocking roads, rude and inconsiderate. And badly turned out ( I’m a stickler for tradition). Masters were so keen to encourage new followers, plus the old ones had retired. Dreadful.
So I stopped doing something I had done and loved all my life.

SDMabel

Visit site
I gave up after the ban, not solely or even mainly because of it but because every entitled idiot with a horse came out. No interest in the countryside, no interest in learning what was old or new ley and what was wheat. Blocking roads, rude and inconsiderate. And badly turned out ( I’m a stickler for tradition). Masters were so keen to encourage new followers, plus the old ones had retired. Dreadful.
So I stopped doing something I had done and loved all my life.

I didn't comment on turnout on my original post but it wasn't great at all, I appreciate everyone might not have the gear , but at the very least turning up on a clean pony/horse with plain tack/ hat silks' saddle pads.

I didn't get to fully appreciate the pre-ban days as i was tiddler on a lead-rein .

Clodagh

Visit site
I didn't comment on turnout on my original post but it wasn't great at all, I appreciate everyone might not have the gear , but at the very least turning up on a clean pony/horse with plain tack/ hat silks' saddle pads.

I didn't get to fully appreciate the pre-ban days as i was tiddler on a lead-rein .
I’m so glad I did. But we all just have to be grateful we were able to enjoy it at all I suppose. Or move abroad!

onemoretime

Visit site

Absolutely agree with this. People dont have manners any more and dont seem to care about anyone but themselves. Its the times we live in and sadly I think it will get worse.

onemoretime

Visit site
That's terrible ! I saw so much of this, instead of circling away from the field to regain control there was a large volume of riders just ploughing into the field.

We were queuing to a jump, my mare is a saint and will just stand nicely so I let those with excitable ones pop ahead , as i set off this girl came from my left hand side and cut diagonally in front of me.

So much so, little mares head ended up in my lap , she threw her head to avoid bumping into the girls horse.

She was probably late teens, judging by the stirrups, hat and general gear on horse looked like a showjumper so whether or not she was treating it like a warm up arena !

Not even a glance in my direction , nor a sorry.

It become dangerous !
That is so bad and so dangerous. This is what the new breed are turning the horse world into sadly!

Tinsel

Visit site
That sounds bad and frightening both together 😞🙈