Hanging up your headcollars

filly190

Visit site
Do you leave yours hung outside your stable, or do you put them in a safe place.

Also do you wind the leadrope back up on itself or leave it loose.

I ask this because I have security/emergency in mind and wondered what everyone else does.

Rambo

Visit site
Mine are left hanging up outside the stables. I used to wrap the lead ropes up everytime, but as no-one else bothers to I now don't either
shocked.gif

ExRacers

Visit site
Hang mine in the stables with the rope wound up. Always keep the rope wound up when catching my horses too as saw a horrific accident where a horse pulled away while being led, tripped on the rope, somersaulted and broke its neck - killed instantly.

Nailed

Visit site
outside the box witht he rope how ever i feel at that moment.
Safety and emergancy wise i think it is important to have one close at hand in case of a fire or something.
Lou x

siennamum

Visit site
Hidden in a tub in the feed room so no-one can use them to steal the horses..
If in use then hung up with lead ropes properly rolled up.
Virtually never left in a way which could be a hazard.

Jay89

Visit site
I always put em in tack room my theory bein they cnt be used to be stolen....though i do think if they really wanted to steal my horse they would probs come prepared!!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Ours are hung on a wall opposite the stables (we're in a barn) next to each horse's turnout rug and cooler.

Our YO goes crazy if the appropriate (i.e. they actually fit the horses in question) headcollars arent to hand incase theres ever a fire and she needs to get horses out fast. She'll only allow certain types of headcollar to be there too - it has to be ones with a clip under the throat so she can get them on faster than having to mess with buckles over their heads.

The lead ropes are only ever wound round if theres someone coming to look round the yard for the same reason - she says she cant be bothered unravelling things when all she needs is a leadrope to hand
tongue.gif

We're lucky in regards to security though. Both the YO and parents are on site and her house is right by the stable block (infact, my horse can look through her lounge window from his stable!) so it's more important that the horses can be gotten out in an emergency than worrying about theft.

jayvee

Visit site
Mine are always hung up outside their stables incase of emergancy. And I don't bother wrapping up the rope.
IMO it's pointless hidding your head collar in the event it will prevent your horse being stolen.
If someone is determined to steal your horse they sure would be prepared with their own equipment!!

Jemayni

Visit site
My YO yells at me if I dont fasten my headcollar with absolute precision, with the leadrope perfectlly coiled (pathetic isnt it!!!!) Therefore it is always perfectly tied in one of the old cow stalls!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I've always hung up outside the stable with leadrope threaded through the noseband. ATM It's in the middle bit of the two main stables with my other kit, as no matter what I'm doing I always have to go in there to get something, so it's easily to hand and tidied away.
I too, get paranoid about horses being stolen, but if anyone wanted to nick one off the yard they'd have a hard job of it with the YO's house right on the yard and all the dogs out.

merlinsquest

Visit site
Left hanging fairly neatly outside stable....... at some point in night pulled down and either dragged into stable and hidden in bedding..... or if i'm lucky..... dropped in heap outside the door for the dogs to steal!!!

Oh for a horse who doesnt get bored if stabled for more than 1/2 an hour!!!!

filly190

Visit site
Thank you for replying to my post. I hang mine outside the stable door with the rope loose (off floor obviously) just incase of an emergency.

I was interested to know what other people do, just to make sure I was ok with what I did. Not being on a livery, you loose touch and dont get the chance to learn from other people.

vicm2509

Visit site
I hang mine on the tie ring outside the stable as I like it to be to hand incase its needed in an emergency. I dont wind up the leadrope though.

not_with_it

Visit site
Mine is hung just outside the stable on a hook. I hang it by the noseband with the rope over the top. I personally would never hide it, you never know when you might need it. I would hate to be faffing around in an emergency trying to find my headcollar.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Well we have them all over the place, one is currently on the floor of the barn in a muddy mess to remind me to put it through the washing machine.

However I generally use rope halters - which confuses people who are only used to english headcollars!

evsj

Visit site
i hang mine on a hook outside the stable but with my stinky yard jacket over the top to avoid it being on show.

However, YO just chucks it on the floor in the wet despite there being a. a large box b. a stack of buckets and c. a hook right outside the box to put things on. I could start a gripe on this subject but i won't!