Hanoverian breeding - crossing C and R lines

DorothyJ

Visit site
Hi, I have a hanoverian mare by Compliment (Calypso II/Cor de la Bryere) and would like to breed from her one day. She is the spitting image of her sire. I love researching possible husbands for her and have read a lot about the R line. I particularly like the look of Rascalino. What attracts me is his reputation for passing on his fabulous temperament, as my mare is sensitive and can be a bit of a crotchety c*w when she wants to be! On a good day though she is superb and has a lot of ability both in her movement and her jumping.

Just wondering what experience people may have of mixing these two lines and if you have any photos of your babies, I'd love to see them:)

Many thanks.

Spring Feather

Visit site
What are you hoping to produce? R-lines are typically dressage bred horses whereas C-line is usually jumper bred. If you're looking for a jumper with traditionally exceptional temperaments you may want to consider a G-line stallion.

I own some R-lines and they are very nice but a bit quirky and quite finely built compared to others I have from other lines. I think G-lines and R-lines work nicely though but not sure I'd personally use an R-line on a sensitive mare.

I have a C-line Holsteiner mare who I'm looking for a suitable mate for atm. She's been bred to another C-line for a 2013 foal and I'm hoping it will be a good cross as she's typical Holsteiner and he is a lighter built Hanoverian so it should be a good jumper bred foal. I'm considering at a Diamond Hit son right now for her so I'm also looking to possibly cross dressage lines with jumper lines. I have a Voltaire sons semen in my nitro tank and would love to use that on her but I feel the cross of those two might be too much. And I also have an already paid-for breeding to another C-line Hanoverian but again I think he might be too heavy for her.

It's a lot of fun choosing though isn't it :)

missprimitive

Visit site
I've "sort of" done this and pleased with the result. Last year I had a Royaldik filly out of my Jacorde (Concorde) mare if that counts?

Mare both moves and jumps very well. I bred for myself, and im now choosing to do more dressage than jumping which is what I based my choice on. I needed a quicker hind leg, good trot, uphill, bit of refinement and most importantly a trainable good temprement as I do this for fun!! Mare can be a little sharp and spooky when shes bored although I always feel like shes on my side if that makes sense. So far I couldn't be happier with the result.

As its my "first child" I have plenty of pics. Im useless with comp but if you pm me I could email

DorothyJ

Visit site
Many thanks, I was very interested to read your replies. I would be breeding for myself and I would love to have the best of both worlds, big floaty movement but also plenty of jump. I have looked at the D line and certainly wouldn't rule it out, I also like the look of Wolkenderry and Argentinus. :)