Happiness!!!

Keira 8888

Visit site
Happy Wednesday darlings!

Lovely day today - popped Prince into his summer field for the first time with his friend and they had a whale of a time ?

Makes it all worth it ?

Bringing him in at night for the first few weeks to ease him into the grass!

How is everyone else handling the transition from stabling at night to 24/7 turnout?
Keira x

Attachments

• DF9B2611-F9A0-48B8-A03F-84CC176CDBED.jpeg
    DF9B2611-F9A0-48B8-A03F-84CC176CDBED.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 99

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Happy Prince, he looks so well.

Mine is on a constant diet, so has worked up over the past 10 days to be allowed an hour in the field, starting with 15 minutes, with muzzle. He is only ever likely to be allowed up to 3 hours, this year at least. I had to diet him until his ribs showed to make it sensible to even try.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Happy Prince, he looks so well.

Mine is on a constant diet, so has worked up over the past 10 days to be allowed an hour in the field, starting with 15 minutes, with muzzle. He is only ever likely to be allowed up to 3 hours, this year at least. I had to diet him until his ribs showed to make it sensible to even try.
Oh Jesus!!!!! That is such good management!!! I’ve left P out for the whole day!!! ???????

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
The fields won't open here until the 1st of May, at the earliest. I'll start reintroducing my guy to grass, slowly, throughout April. I wouldn't want mine any heavier at the moment, but I'll be removing all feed (aside from vit/min stuff). It's like a month long slow prep with him. If I let him out for the day, this time of year especially, laminitis would be imminent.

Your guy looks so happy though! I (and probably my horse) are looking forward to 24/7 turnout again!

Keira 8888

Visit site
The fields won't open here until the 1st of May, at the earliest. I'll start reintroducing my guy to grass, slowly, throughout April. I wouldn't want mine any heavier at the moment, but I'll be removing all feed (aside from vit/min stuff). It's like a month long slow prep with him. If I let him out for the day, this time of year especially, laminitis would be imminent.

Your guy looks so happy though! I (and probably my horse) are looking forward to 24/7 turnout again!
Ok, I’m so glad you said that. I think I need to rein it back in then - I will limit his intake more. Thank you!!! X

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Oh Jesus!!!!! That is such good management!!! I’ve left P out for the whole day!!! ???????

Mine had EMS and lami last year before I bought him, so extra caution for Rigsby.

To be fair, I do always start with a couple of hours max and then slowly raise it, making sure they don't clap weight on.

UnfilteredCowgirl

Visit site
Oh, Prince looks so happy! Lucky you, my poor girls are stuck on hay for another probably 2 months before the snow is all gone and there is actually grass. Not much is gonna change in my routine however. Just have to move the fence around every couple of weeks. Right now they are just in a big field with 24/7 access to hay, and then over the summer when there's pasture, they will be in an electric fence pen that I will just move around when they've eaten all the grass. That'll be nice cause I'll get to limit their intake a little more. In the beginning though I will probably have to lock them up at nights so they don't bloat. The cows will be out with them too in the spring, so they'll probably be locked up from 7pm to 7am when we milk and bring em back up.
But yeah, can't wait till the snow is all gone and they can be right under my window again! Last year they would stand right under my window (its always open in the summer i love listening to everything and having the breeze throughout the night), and they would bray every morning at 6am and wake me up every single day. I loved it! I can't wait for them to do that again lol! I can't really hear them when they're up in the yard so it'll be nice to be able to see them wherever I go throughout the house! I can't wait for summer!!!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I wouldn’t worry too much, if a horse isn’t a good doer and is turned out all year round then chucking them out on the summer grass shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve always done it with mine and never had a problem.
Lovely photo! We are still on winter fields which aren’t muddy and never have been much but are over grazed (bug bear, but as a member of a herd there’s nothing I can do) so he’s in for four hours a day to get a good belly full of hay.
Can’t wait for the summer fields to open!

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
The boys been out 24/7 for a few weeks now (didnt stable that much through winter to be honest) and i fully clipped him two days ago and he is feeling rather fresh right now and seems to have an extra spring in his step. I cant wait to get on and go for a hack tonight or tomorrow .. it will be fun and it'll also be nice not looking like a muddy, sweaty welfare case hacking with my friends on their well presented, well schooled horses :)

I dont ride much in the winter due to a lack of facilities, time and motivation so i dont clip, other than a tragic attempt at a bib clip when i first got him and he was petrified of the clippers (plus he's new, October) but i refuse to deal with all that white moulting hair, hence putting in the effort with the clippers and clipping now :)

Attachments

• Zeus small pic.jpg
    Zeus small pic.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 14
Visit site
Was lovely yesterday - bit chilly today! Mine are currently out for around 10 hours a day but still coming in at night. They will probably start staying out 24/7 after the next cold spell has gone.