Happy Birthday Hugo (Royal Update 3 years!) Anyone remember him?

SpottyTB

Visit site
Hello,

As is tradition, each year I post a birthday post for Hugo and some pictures :). I've been on HHO since I first got him, well even before when i was deciding what to look at - so there are some members who will remember Hugo as a foal :).
Hugo is by Update (KWPN coloured stallion) and out of a graded polish mare called Arka. He was three on Sunday :) and i can't believe where the time has gone!

So a foalie picture and a couple of recent ones - unfortunately he's still in his winter woollies so not as beautiful as he can be!
F_zpse7gb6c5y.jpg

HH_zps6qybseos.jpg
h_zpsvdhdmr7t.jpg

:) sorry if pics are huge, i'm not sure how to minimize them!

Clodagh

Visit site
Good to see an update. He looks gorgeous. He is quite mature looking and well balanced, are you backing him this year? What is the white mark behind the numnah?

SpottyTB

Visit site
Good to see an update. He looks gorgeous. He is quite mature looking and well balanced, are you backing him this year? What is the white mark behind the numnah?

Hi Clodagh, thanks for replying starting to think people had forgot about us!! Thanks, i'm undecided about what i'm going to do with him... he still has a bit to go as when he's stood in stable he seems about an inch or two higher behind.. but he's a fairly solid 16.1... and he's so ready mentally!

He's been out for a few in hand walks on the roads, i've long reined him a few times - he is very good at everything, just takes to it first time... i've lent on him and he's not bothered at all - i suppose it's the great thing about having him from a baby! So i think the plan (in theory) is to get may/june showing out the way (He's got 2 county parties to go to and a local show or two) then he's in to have his wolf teeth out in July... and i wan't to allow him as long as it takes to recover, they are impacted so not a straight forward removal. Then when he's recovered and back, then i think i will start him properly.. get him to the point where i can ride him out around the block in company and then turn him away until next year when he's 4..

I hope it's the right thing to do, he's a big chap with big joints and i wan't him to last so in no rush but he is so ready mentally bless him!

The white patch is a scar, he wore a fly rug last year and it had a belly cover.. he must have rolled and rubbed himself as it rubbed him raw and then the hair grew back white! I think he wanted to be coloured like most of his sibling... ;)

Hope alls well with you!

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I posted an update about Piper recently and hardly anyone replied, I think they are old news. I love seeing how he is doing though (Hugo) and how he has developed. Fancy getting a scar there, does he have to wear make up or can you now go for CHAPs classes? (Joke, but never mastered smileys on here).
Piper was backed at 3 but did hardly anything, then redone at 4.

teacups

Visit site
Wow - can't quite believe he is three already. Of course I remember him.
A little while ago I wondered how you and he were doing, and looked you up, but htere had been no posts for a while...so how lovely to hear that all is going so well :)

He does look grown up, lovely too. Thanks for posting photo update on Royal update!

teacups

Visit site
I posted an update about Piper recently and hardly anyone replied, I think they are old news. I love seeing how he is doing though (Hugo) and how he has developed. Fancy getting a scar there, does he have to wear make up or can you now go for CHAPs classes? (Joke, but never mastered smileys on here).
Piper was backed at 3 but did hardly anything, then redone at 4.

Errm, yes, I missed your Piper altogether, apologies. I suppose you just 'catch' some, and miss others. Alerted now though - will have to take a peek :)

SpottyTB

Visit site
Clodagh- will take a peek at your update now :), Piper is warmblood too right? Yes he has to wear make up, i've been told to dye it but i'm really apprehensive about doing it... worried he'll react! I think he'd do superb in a coloured class, perhaps i should get him overstamped ;)!

Teacups - Thanks for replying, i no me neither - i feel like a mother when her baby has gone to school! Nice to know we've been wandered over :), i just lost touch a bit and didn't really post but i'm sure now we're doing bits and bobs i'll have plenty to post about on here :). Yes he is a grown up boy, easy to foget his age sometimes! I had a sit today, just felt right - he's so calm, just leant over and slipped my leg over and he was fine.. walked around the yard and back to his stable in a headcollar quite happily! Such a pro :p x

Meandtheboys

Visit site
He is looking good - my youngster is 3 at the end of May and I will be doing the same as you as she is so bored in the field, bit of everything and turn away once she has been sat on.

SpottyTB

Visit site
He is looking good - my youngster is 3 at the end of May and I will be doing the same as you as she is so bored in the field, bit of everything and turn away once she has been sat on.

Thank you :D, yes it's hard to know what to do and i'm so worried about what others think and say - sometimes i should just trust my gut. Although i had a sit (nothing really to talk about) today, i'll still follow my plan and carry on with long reining and showing, then break for his op july and crack on in Aug :). What is your youngster? :)

Meandtheboys

Visit site
Irish Sports Horse - was dark grey and rapidly getting whiter already, she is standing at 16hh and very independent. I did take her showing earlier this month but told she needed to be twice the weight for the show ring but in the next comment stated if he owned her she was the right weight!!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Oh very nice :) yes we have a 4yo grey that's not far from being all white!! Oh how bizarre, i have found in my experience showing Hugo for last 2 years... He's always been the leaner one in the ring and never had a comment about it... but think it depends on the judge.. some like them fat and some don't. Personally, i want him to go on and become a talented riding horse in whatever area is most suited.. not be over fed as a baby and never get there because he's got OCD or some other joint problem!
Such a bad attitude for a judge to have!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Thank you, thank you :)! Yes LJR I am very pleased with how he's turned out :), he's temperament is to die for, takes everything into his stride! Or though a little wussy about life in general, he mans up when needed!

Clodagh

Visit site
You see so few in hand youngsters making it through to ridden ranks I think you are doing exactly the right thing. Piper is 3/4 tb and 1/4 ID. Warmblood, pah! (LOL).

Just for a bit of self publicity he is the Gawky Gnu thread. :)

SpottyTB

Visit site
Oops sorry I don't know why I thought warmblood - my apologies!!! I do think TB x's are a bit quicker to mature than warmbloods hence why I'm trying to be patient.. No HOYS this year for Hugo and I ;p

Asha

Visit site
Ooh he's looking great, and very mature. Loving the shiny coat. Can't quite believe 3 years has gone so fast. Mine turned 3 in March, she's a smidge over 16hds at the moment. She's going through a pretty ugly stage at the moment unlike handsome Hugo. So would be way to embarrassed to post any pics. She looks like 2 very different horses stuck together at the minute. Think cob behind, but TB front. Bizarre looking thing.

SpottyTB

Visit site
Hi Asha :), Thank you for your kind comments! I've been lucky in that he's grown fairly evenly since a foal but still think we have a year or two growing to do! 3 years has flown, i am so excited to start with him - i have a feeling he will be great if i can get through to his brain! Long reined him again this morning and he was super, sent him out onto a circle and he's like an old pro, walk, trot and woah - superb!

I'm sure your's will blossom soon, they all do at different times - Hugo goes ugly through winter (think big fluffy brown bear) and i try not to look to much ;)! I look forward to photos of yours when you feel she's looking good enough to share ;)!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Lovely photos and looks in lovely condition . He's a big chap, how big was he as a 2 yr old?

Hi there, thank you :). He isn't as big as I'd hoped but you never know he may grow another few inches. He was about 15.1/15.2 as a 2yo.. 14/14.2hh as a yearling :)! So grown between 2-4 inches a year :)!