Happy bloody (literally) Christmas to you too, Alfred.

Visit site
I'm wallowing in self pity here, so if you're not a fan of that then this ain't the thread for you...
Look what our charming thoroughbred gave me for Christmas! 18 stitches and 4 missing teeth (3 of which are now back in place, held in with an arch bar that also serves to keep my not-broken-but-misplaced-then-shoved-back-into-place jaw in the right place.
I was going to catch him, literally about to put the headcollar over his nose, when he spun and booted me on in the face. Don't think he meant to,
he was in a moronic mood because his first night stabled unfortunately coincided with the first snow, and lots of what Alfie perceived as thoroughbred eating sledgers! (He's a puppy's brain in the body of a 16hh 600kg ex racer!)
Someone's on the naughty list now, methinks!
https://imgur.com/lT6NDXe

Last edited:

Cowpony

Visit site
OMG you poor thing! I hope you heal up soon. Just goes to show how quickly things can go wrong even if you are handling a horse correctly.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My Clydex nearly caught me exactly the same yesterday and he NEVER does things like that. How you heal soon and have a good dentist. Can I send you some straws and a lot of soup?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
You have my uttermost sympathies. I had a mouthful of hoof many years ago, again a turning out accident and lost a front tooth and incisor as a result. I am undergoing treatment at the moment for an implant.

Healthy diet of soup and baked beans (got bored with soup) was in order back then. I trust you have a good dentist!!

Fidgety

Visit site
Oh my word, you're entitled to feel sorry for yourself! Hope you're on the mend and starting to feel better very soon.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oww nasty!!
How do they manage these things? Hope you recover somewhat by Christmas, a wired up jaw must be really uncomfortable in this weather - lots of warm beverages for you

AFB

Visit site
Ouch!

I know it won't seem it at the moment while you're swollen, sore and healing but it could have been a lot worse if he'd been a few inches higher.

Visit site
Ouch!

I know it won't seem it at the moment while you're swollen, sore and healing but it could have been a lot worse if he'd been a few inches higher.

True!! To be honest, someone higher up mentioned how bad things can happen even if you're doing things properly but tbh to be truly "doing things properly" I ought to have been round his side more and facing away from him with my hand over his nose, (though I never do this with him as he's headshy and sticks his head up so high I then can't reach to get the headcollar done up :lol:) but if I'd been standing like that when he kicked he'd have got me in the back of my skull. Just goes to show sometimes doing things the "lazy way" is actually better, lol.

cobsarefab

Visit site
Yikes! Really hope you feel better soon! The thoroughbreds at my yard have all gone. Bonkers in the snow and we're all being led in chiffneys. So glad it wasn't worse as well.

scats

Visit site
Ouch! I hope you heal quickly.

So many accidents happen when turning out horses, it's something we all do everyday but is probably one of the most dangerous aspects of dealing with horses.
Sometimes Id put my hat on when I turned the hooligan out. He was an occasional silent rearer and you got no warning at all. You'd be unfastening the gate and feel a bit of wind beside your ear and when you turned around you'd be facing a big brown belly and his front legs would be up in the heavens.

Mrs G

Visit site
Oh hell OP. Ouch doesnt really cover it! Sending (festive) healing vibes. Mind you, some people would pay for a pout like that!

SpottyMare

Visit site
Painful! I hope it heals up quickly and you feel much better soon. FWIW mouth injuries tend to heal quicker than anything else.

I did something similar, but non horsey - my face went into the top of someones head at speed while playing rugby. My lip was split all over the place, I broke a bone in between my eyebrow and nose and even though I was wearing a mouthguard I lost a couple of teeth and knocked the crown off the implant I already had...

From memory what helped me was alternating paracetomol, nurofen and codeine (the dentist suggested whiskey as well), ice cream (because it's quite soothing on cut lips), straws (because drinking was impossible - but make sure tea and coffee aren't too hot), ice cubes (to rub on lips) and any food that could be made soft - I think mashed potato with lots of butter and cheese became a standby, as did thick soups as more watery ones seemed more difficult to eat!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm wallowing in self pity here, so if you're not a fan of that then this ain't the thread for you...
Look what our charming thoroughbred gave me for Christmas! 18 stitches and 4 missing teeth (3 of which are now back in place, held in with an arch bar that also serves to keep my not-broken-but-misplaced-then-shoved-back-into-place jaw in the right place.
I was going to catch him, literally about to put the headcollar over his nose, when he spun and booted me on in the face. Don't think he meant to,
he was in a moronic mood because his first night stabled unfortunately coincided with the first snow, and lots of what Alfie perceived as thoroughbred eating sledgers! (He's a puppy's brain in the body of a 16hh 600kg ex racer!)
Someone's on the naughty list now, methinks!
https://imgur.com/lT6NDXe

Omg that looks painful - poor you hope you heal quickly x