Happy horse vs happy owner. Where is the line?

Expo

Visit site
I keep my horse on a nice private yard with just ten horses, two of which belong to the yard owner. We have lots of turn out, a nice school, OK hacking and the people (including the YO) are a nice bunch, friendly and knowledgable. We also have areas of wood chip turn out which we can use in winter if the ground gets too wet to use the fields and plenty of storage for my feed and horsey gear. In general, I'd say my horse is happy, well looked after and settled.

I moved here from a much larger yard where there was always something going on, people to hack with, events and clinics being organised and a general buzz about the place. The issues around care of my horse and other things made me make the move.

But I'm not really enjoying it at the new place at all if I'm honest. I ride out sometimes with one of the other girls, but generally, due to everyone keeping their own routines, I'm often there completely on my own, which I find boring and lonely. It's an absolute PITA to get to, being a couple of miles further away from home than the old place and not an easy drive. I'm losing motivation and am a bit fed up generally. I miss my friends at the old place and the general buzz of things going on.

This isn't a "should I move?" thread because, for all sorts of reasons I'm going to stay where I am at least until next spring. But more of a general musing on where the line is between a happy owner and a happy horse. We all put a lot of time, effort and money into looking after our horses. The current yard is a good compromise in terms of horse care, costs etc, and my horse is happy, but I'm interested to know how far other horse owners/livery yard users compromise their own lives or enjoyment of their horses to give their animals a good quality of life. Where is the line between what you want and what your horses wants?

Sorry if this is coming over as a bit of a moan. Tea and biscuits if you've got this far.

Flicker

Visit site
For me, if I have a happy horse then I am generally a happy owner. I wouldn't keep my horse somewhere he was unhappy just because it suited me.
However, we need to also be practical. There are yards near me that are havens for horses, having loads of lovely turn out in natural herds and open style barns, that are useless for me as an owner because their facilities are limited or nonexistent. So I have hopefully found a compromise in terms of a bit more limited winter turn out in exchange for an indoor school meaning I can ride all year round.
Sounds like your yard is a bit of a compromise at the moment, but one you may get used to. Also everything is dire in winter, things might seem a bit more positive in warmer lighter weather and once you've had the chance to get used to your new surroundings.

WandaMare

Visit site
I know how you feel. I moved from a livery yard to keep mine at home which is perfect for the horses but it does get lonely for me. I really miss the yard chat and support from other owners especially during the winter months. Do you do riding club activities? I find going out to clinics and the odd group lesson helps to some extent and its a chance to catch up with my old livery friends. Overall I am happier having the horses at home and the bonus is that I can afford to keep more than one now :)

PorkChop

Visit site
Its a really good question! For me, a happy horse is everything.

I've always kept my horses at home so I have never had company, but I can completely sympathise where you are coming from.

Can you box up and meet with your friends once a week?

rachk89

Visit site
Happy horse every time. I moved from one place where facilities were better and there were clinics and competitions to a place where facilities weren't as good (really only thing they lack is a proper indoor arena and that's it but it's north Scotland so an indoor arena is pretty much essential). But the horse is so much happier he has a big field he has friends he actually has grass now and haylage that doesn't make him cough. He has doubled in size to what he was always meant to be and he never looks depressed anymore. I can't do as many clinics or competitions now (that's due to lack of transport currently) and as he got bigger he got more tricky to ride but I have learnt to adapt to him now and am still learning how to ride him properly. Will never go back to the depressed version of my horse for my sake.

Greylegs

Visit site
I think we all have to make some compromises to keep our horses happy, as I firmly believe there's no such thing as a perfect livery yard. If your horse is happy and settled, that counts for a lot. I think it comes down to what you are prepared to compromise on, and what's carved in stone and thus not open to compromise, and that line will be different for every horse/owner combination. The yard where my lad lives is great in many ways, but is a PITA to get to and that's my compromise. I moved from one which was slightly closer, had better facilities but had issues around turnout and care standards generally. Those were the biggies for me. So only you know where your particular line is.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I do know how you feel, I'm at home on my own, I am therefore on my own with my horses. Ok, so the yards at my parents but I don't have horse people company. I have over the years built up a little network of friends to do stuff with. I ride out with several people, I do very low level dressage but also help with the shows , so I have made lots of contacts that way. In the summer those people come up and ride and I go and ride at other places. Most contacts I made at shows or by just going up to people's houses and chatting. I've even met people via FB. I rarely now worry about being on my own, like tomorrow I have to horses to do on my own because I know if I felt lonely I could just make a call and in sure I could find company, I just fancy being on my own tomorrow:)

JulesRules

Visit site
I do think it's a fine balance and maybe you can find a happy compromise?

I was on one yard for many years but eventually left due to location (it was 12 miles away) and costs going up and up.

I went to a yard closer to home (yard 2). but only ended up staying a year as neither my horse or I were very happy/ settled there. Turn out was poor, the place was a mess and nothing was ever maintained or repaired and the staff had no respect for my stuff. Plus my mare turned into an unsettled spooky nightmare and I lost my mojo.

We moved with a friend from the second yard to a new yard and I have never looked back. My horse was more settled from day 1 than she ever was at yard 2 and our current yard is only 2 miles from home.

However, the friend I moved with has had some issues with her horse's health since moving which would have happened regardless, and as a result she always looks back at yard 2 through rose tinted glasses even saying she wished she had never left, but I remember how unhappy she was at yard 2.

I'm not sure what my point is other than don't forget the reasons why you left your old yard, but also I guess that where you keep your horse has to work for you and your horse.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I moved my horse on Tuesday to a big posh yard from a small at home set up... And back again on Saturday. The horse wasn't happy therefore I was blooming miserable... I'd go for the ponies being happy every time and can't separate the two.

ozpoz

Visit site
I think a happy horse is more likely to be healthy, have fewer vet bills, be less stressed, more amenable to learning etc.
It is a priority for me.
I'm at home. I dream of a lovely yard with great amenities etc, but this is just so easy here, I've not made the move yet.