Happy mouth bits - is it just a case of suck it and see?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I've not used happy mouth bits before, but wondering what the plus points of them are and whether it's simply a case of seeing if your horse takes to it or not?

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I personally have yet to see any plus points about them after using them on a couple of horses :( However I have seen other horses that seem to be perfectly happy in them. I would say suck it and see - although any reason in particular why you are using one?

pinklilly

Visit site
Mines fussy in his mouth and currently in an NS snaffle and was thinking of trying a happy mouth but my dentist advised against it, he said the plastic gets tiny splinters in over time and was best sticking to the NS bit.

TandD

Visit site
I use a happy mouth straight bar bit. It a few years old now, and most likely doesn't taste of Apple any more, but it is the best bit my horse goes in!
I cant really give you any plus points of using one it's just the bit my horse likes in his mouth!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
No particular reason, I just have to start somewhere with what I try with the horse. She's been existing on hand me downs so not really sure what she needs to start off, so wanted to start at the bottom and work up so was somehow convinced that these were very mild? :)

khalswitz

Visit site
I hate the feel of them - but I hate the feel of any Mullen mouth. However I do know one horse who bit through their Happy Mouth, happened to be going ape at the time and absolutely terrifying situation. So has put me off.

Sweet iron/copper/ German silver all much warmer than ss bits and good alternatives.

Goldenstar

Visit site
They don't work for me they are hard and often hurt the corners of the horses mouths .
If I want to try something like that I use a nathe .

Lolita

Visit site
I use a happy mouth on one of mine and he definitely goes better in it. The only problem is you do have to check and replace them more often as if they are chewed they become very sharp :)

Templebar

Visit site
The bit i have started my youngster in is a metal french link snaffle, it was what i had for my other horse, she seems happy with it and therefore i will stick with it. I will always try to stay with metal bits as i prefer the safety of them and the fact they dont change and wear as others do, also if they are used to metal, if/when you need to change the mouth piece you have so much to choose from.

Whereas if you start in Happy mouth but need a stronger bit then you may need to change to metal and that might be too much of a change for the horse.

mirage

Visit site
When we bought knobberpony we were told that she had to have a straight bar Happy Mouth.After she chewed 2 so badly that they were making her mouth sore,in less than 3 months,I changed to a sweet iron french link.She loves it and tries to hold it in her mouth to suck it when I'm untacking her.She head tossed with the Happy Mouth [probably due to the rough chewed bits] but doesn't do it now.I'll stick to metal bits in future.

khalswitz

Visit site
When we bought knobberpony we were told that she had to have a straight bar Happy Mouth.After she chewed 2 so badly that they were making her mouth sore,in less than 3 months,I changed to a sweet iron french link.She loves it and tries to hold it in her mouth to suck it when I'm untacking her.She head tossed with the Happy Mouth [probably due to the rough chewed bits] but doesn't do it now.I'll stick to metal bits in future.

My horse does this with a copper lozenge, it's lovely.