Happy Mouth Bits

Grey_Arab

Visit site
I was just wonding what people thought of them, thought I might try one on my boy as he always opens his mouth when being ridden and putting on a flash just makes it worse as in more resistant and he fights it and so a PC instructer suggested trying him in a happy mouth, what do we think?? He is currently ridden in a fulmer snaffle BTW
Thankies!

vickers22

Visit site
i tried my boy in a happy mouth dutch gag-was told it would be softer. However it made no difference to me, although some horses adore them. Guess it depends on the horse and what you are trying to achieve!!

Hattikins

Visit site
i have Hattie in all happy mouth bits , fulmer for dressage and 2ring gag for jumping with biscuits. Love them, though wouldnt use the single jointed ones on her as they are quite harsh, she is in double jointed and she loves them.

Only thing i would say is that the loose ring happy mouths have REALLY sharp edges by the rings, so would always use them with biscuits
smile.gif

lillie07

Visit site
No harm in trying, your instructor knows you and your horse and therefore is probably the best person to comment. Shop4bits do a 30 day trial for about £5 and if you buy the bit they take the £5ish off the final cost
smile.gif

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
One thing to beware of with these bits is that they can sometime overheat in a horses mouth....

This never occured to me but it was pointed out to me by a friend whos dressage trainer told her about it;

vickers22

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Only thing i would say is that the loose ring happy mouths have REALLY sharp edges by the rings

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i found that it cut the edges of his mouth, even with biscuits. However that happens in most bits with him!I must say that the apple scent is quite appealing!

flyingfeet

Visit site
I don't like them - happy mouth's especially have rough edges and cause more friction in the mouth than a metal bit.

If I had to go synthetic I'd would use a nathe in preference, followed by flexi bits (Nathe is superior, but flexi bits are at least smoother and less flawed than happy mouths)

hollyzippo

Visit site
Think it really depends on the individual but worth a try!
Mine has a fulmer with lozenge thing for dressage and 2 ring gag for jumping (snap- like above!) and he is much softer than in metal bits when he was far too sensitive to my hand.

Although, I bought one off a friend whose horse got bruised/burnt by the material as mouth was so sensitive! Think you have to try it. And I have used a loose ring which, again, was fine in Jools but pinched on a friends horse.

My horse must have an indestructable mouth!!
crazy.gif
smile.gif

Twiglet

Visit site
I ride mine in a Happy Mouth loose ring snaffle and he goes brilliantly in it. He has a very sensitive and soft mouth and the Happy Mouth enables him to really accept the bit and work nicely.

Having said that, the brakes are a bit dodgy, so I have to upgrade for fast work!

amandaco2

Visit site
my mare used to rear and open her mouth and throw her head up.
i eventually found she hated any jointed bits and loved either a straight bar or mullen mouth peice(but not too thick as she has a small gob!) in either metal or a happy mouth
she hacks and schools in a mullen happy mouth loose ring.

Jemayni

Visit site
Happy mouth bits gave my horse mouth ulcers, 8 weeks in a hackamore, funny in mouth ever since - never again!

Personally I think they are too rough to be in a horses mouth, and where they join the metal parts they rub and yea - eww.

evsj

Visit site
Mine is now in a flexi-bit french link loose ring and after 5 years she is finally accepting a contact. It may not just be the material of the bit, it could be the shape of it too. could it be the nutcracker action he doesn't like? or the actual joint of the bit digging into his tongue/roof of mouth?

It depends on mouth conformation too.

miller

Visit site
The seam on the one I had rubbed my lads mouth within 10 mins of being on him (mouth was wet at the time) I filed ridge down and still tears his mouth if I try it - they aren't that smooth a material and personally I find they rub more - however some horses do go well in them.

Can't use biscuits on one as I compete BD

sunny123

Visit site
I dont like them at all. Especially the double jointed ones, as the joints are tiny and really pinch. Also (not really sure how to describe it) were the joint begins and the happy mouth bit ends it just stops dead in a straight line rather than being smooth to the joint which i cant imagine is very comfortable. They are very easily distroyed aswell! I dont mind the straight bar ones though. Thats just my personal opinion, i have seen horses that go well in them, but i dont like them and i know a couple of experienced instructors that share this veiw. Obviously your instructor knows your horse, and it could be worth a try.

claire1976

Visit site
My TB mare was ridden in one when I bought her and they are really thick and tbh she looked really uncomfortable in it.
I swapped it for a sweet iron snaffle with a copper inlay and she's much happier. Although I do know people who swear by them.