Happy old bird reliving my youth!

Tobiano

Visit site
I am an old bird but have had a week where I've gone back to my teens and had some jumping lessons :D building up from poles and cavaletti :D :D :D to what to me might as well be the puissance wall! Very silly and childish but I feel so happy and I love my wonderful horse Bilbo so much! :)

Here we are starting out -

/[IMG]http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/fabandforty/63732_10152884578863410_818970953335324664_n_zpsb8f997fc.jpg/

And here is our ultimate achievement -

[IMG]http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/fabandforty/10671230_10152884579198410_1295589882405849555_n_zpsa6e05c68.jpg

Here I am standing over the fence like the big white hunter!! Biggest one I have jumped for well over 35 years and feel on top of the world

10665302_10152884579428410_1254887434757191216_n_zps7e37eed9.jpg

Sorry rather silly and pointless but is there anything else in the world that can bring such carefree happiness?!

Last edited:

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
that's a great picture, it really captures the moment and your horse is beautiful.

There's never enough of us old birds reliving our youth. Should be complusory. :)

Soapie

New User
Visit site
I am another old bird and rode in my youth but 2 years ago learned to ride all over again, got a horse loan, then bought my own horse, and now have 2 horses. I started jumping around 8 months ago and I know exactly how you feel! The most exciting and exhilarating sensation in the world going over those first jumps! I even got my partner to take a video of me and my horse flying over what I thought was quite a big jump! Well done and keep going and pushing yourself onwards and upwards! Bilbo is a beautiful horse and you both look like you are having so much fun! Nothing you enjoy doing on your horse is silly or pointless - make the most of it - good to read your post and see the fab photos! I am a new member - just joined today!

Bernster

Visit site
Agree, doesn't matter the height, it's what it means to you that's important. Lovely pics and you look very determined coming into that fence!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Super post, really brought a smile to my face. I haven't jumped in ages and really miss it. I may have to buy some poles this weekend... And borrow a real horse :-(

Gorgeous horse too! Love his markings.

Soapie

New User
Visit site
I have found that I am much fitter and have more energy as well now I am doing a hobby I love. It was madness but I started with a just broken stallion (now gelded) and had the steepest learning curve ever! I used to take him out on his own, had to force myself and we met all manner of obstacles but we kept at it and we have become such a great team. He still spooks a lot but even though I had a terrifying journey on him the excitement was tremendous and I did feel young again and full of life. My second horse was a rescue one and had been badly treated and is a bucker so have stopped riding him. However I aim to get him into training again and ride him as when he was good he was the most wonderful horse to ride and he has such a gentle nature - just has the occasional buck now and again so unpredictable and a bit dangerous!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I too am an older rider who has returned. Retired, took riding lessons, fell back in love with horses and bought one.

About 6 weeks ago I left the ground for the first time in over 25 years and loved every second of it.

Can't wait to do more with my youngster who can jump because we have both left the ground together and quite surprisingly landed together but it was sheer fluke.

Tobiano

Visit site
Aw so great to see there are a few more of us old broilers out there! Congratulations to all of us eh? Soapie my word you must be a brave one! And Lindylouanne wow well done for jumping 25 years on… i know how it feels you could have gone round the moon couldn't you?!

Thank you all for lovely comments especially about my beautiful horse thank you :) He is an absolute saint as well - I cannot believe how lucky I am to have him… we've been together 10 months now :)

And thank you NellRosk for your kind words :) I was happy with my position for once - my RI worked very hard on it this week! And made me smile remembering kind words on here when I first posted a pic of Bilbo and me… someone said 'Well the horse is between you and the ground which is a good start' and I have often laughed about that… my RI too :)

Last edited:

Soapie

New User
Visit site
Tobiano - yes it is wonderful being able to ride late on in life! Lovely to see and hear from every one too who have all been so supportive of us all. I just joined the forum today, so it has been a great start to chat to everyone and hear everyone's experiences. I wanted a horse so much when I was young but never had the money or facilities living in cities didn't help either! So I really appreciate every day how lucky I am to have had the chance to own my own horses and still be able to enjoy riding and jumping! Hope to hear from you all again. Hear hear congrats to everyone as it is no small feat to get back up on the saddle and even better to leave the ground with your horse and be intact at the other side of the jump!!!

Tobiano

Visit site
Hey Soapie, me too… used to muck out at the local riding school in return for free rides, so many of my friends there had their own ponies and I wished so much to have my own and especially to take it to a show… so I really appreciate what a privilege it is now to have my own and I am sure I am enjoying my experiences none the less for them coming 40 years later than I had hoped! Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Cowpony

Visit site
Well done! It's not easy to start/get back into jumping when older. I think you qualify for our very select H&H Fabulous 50+ Club.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Hurray for you ..looks great fun and I really enjoyed hearing about it and the pictures. (I took my mare over some fallen logs in the woods the other day - and I could've been 13 again!)

Tobiano

Visit site
Hurray for you ..looks great fun and I really enjoyed hearing about it and the pictures. (I took my mare over some fallen logs in the woods the other day - and I could've been 13 again!)

oh yes that is the best feeling in the world! :)

Well done you, great to see you and your horse lovin life !:)

Thank you… I know his ears are back in the pic but he did it all very happily so hope he liked it too :)

Your smile says it all.

(From another old bird)

My horse makes me smile all the time :) You can't ask more than that can you?! Go us old birds eh?! :)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I have a friend who says she knows lots of very tall eight year olds :p We all revert to being those little girls when around or on the horses :D

Tobiano

Visit site
I have a friend who says she knows lots of very tall eight year olds :p We all revert to being those little girls when around or on the horses :D

That's brilliant…. I never seem to meet those people, so lovely to hear how many of us there are lurking under stones! :)

teacups

Visit site
You are *not* 50 plus, surely?
If you are, you're wearing well!

I'm another oldie back into riding, albeit only in my 40s - love it, and yes you feel like a ponymad girl at times <g>

Last edited:

Tobiano

Visit site
You are *not* 50 plus, surely?
If you are, you're wearing well!

I'm another oldie back into riding - love it.

Aw teacups thank you for that. 52 bar 2 months. I just love 'meeting' more oldies back into riding as you say - great to think of all of us having such enjoyment :)

teacups

Visit site
Aarghh - I am in my 40s (just edited my post) and IMO not wearing nearly as well as you, haha!
I think there are more than a few of us: I did an evening class doing the BHS stages and all bar one participant was an older rider. I had expected lots of teenagers!

Merrymoles

Visit site
I have a coaster on my desk that says "If you haven't grown up by age 50, you don't have to" which was a present from a horsey friend who is also the wrong side of 50!

Welcome to our club!! I think I'm a month older than you!