Happy post :)

cbmcts

Visit site
I rode for the first time in at least six years last night :D:D:D:D and I loved it!

OK, I'm crippled today but it was fun - despite getting more and more nervous during the week to the extent I was feeling a bit sick by last night. I even cantered, it wasn't pretty but we did it.

A few weeks ago I managed to find a riding school whose weight limit was high enough for my lard @rse and signed up for their Take Back the Reins course. Even before I retired my riding horse 6 years ago, I hadn't been riding much as he was slowing down towards retirement and what confidence I did have had slipped away.

My God, talk about being fat and unfit! The horse was fine afterwards (he is a gorgeous cheeky monkey but safe) but I was hot, sweaty and definitely unsound by the end. Talking of which, do you think the RS would mind if I rang them and asked if I could use my own leathers and wobbly sprenger irons in future or would that be a faux pas?

Pointless post really but I'm still smiling this morning even through the aches ;)

Deltaflyer

Visit site
OMG you sound just like me!! I gave up horses full stop for six years and then decided to start again (I had to loose at least three stone before I could even contemplate heaving my bulk on to some poor unsuspecting equine!). My first time was on a mechanical horse so they could assess me. 2nd time on a real horse and one circuit in trot of the 20 x 40 indoor school later and I think my instructor was worried she might have to call an ambulance I was so red faced and out of breath. I was shocked too seeing I'd been going to the gym five times a week for the previous six months ! Riding fitness is very different o other kinds if fitness. Oddly enough though I never did have the hurty thigh muscles. I remember being as excited going for that first lesson on a real horse as I used to be when I used to ride when I was pre-teen. I'm 55 and love that I can still get so excited about something so simple.

Six months later I bought my self a new horse. (My old one I'd put on permanent loan when I gave up and he went to horsey heaven just before that Christmas) I now do all the stuff I used to do when I was in my 20s and 30s - Hunter trials, Unafflicted SJ, a bit of showing, looking forward to doing a one day event and, maybe some BE80. re-taking up riding and getting a new horse has given me a massive new lease of life. I'm having huge fun and got my mojo back.

I hope it works as brilliantly for you as it has for me :)

ETA I too was so nervous the first few times, I didn't canter for the first few weeks as I was so unfit and wobbly LOL My first time without stirrups I almost fell off !

Last edited: