Happy retirement

maxapple

Visit site
A few months ago I asked for advice on retirement livery as my 20 year old was on full livery & being stabled wasn't great for him.

I am very lucky as my yard also does grass livery and I've been given the perfect field for my boy so he can stay with me. I'm not good with estimating but reckon its close to 20 acres with a small woods they can go in, lots of natural shelter, a big hill so it's muddy at the bottom but dry at the top.

There's my 2 and 3 other ponies in there and they are all so happy.

I was really worried about my boy living out but he's happy as anything. He's covered in mud but warm and they have lots of hay morning and night. He loves being out and was very unimpressed when I tried to leave him in the field shelter for half hour 'for a rest' yesterday.

lme

Visit site
Sounds perfect. Mine (a 3/4 TB) moved from being fully stabled to a similar situation 11 years ago, when she was 21 and is very happy in her little herd. She now has to come in overnight in winter for intensive feeding as her teeth are almost gone & she struggles with hay, but she is always very keen to get back out to her herd when turned back out.