Harbridge or martingale

luie123

Visit site
Hi, I am struggling with my horse getting above the bit and throwing his head around. Could either a martingale or harbrigle help?

Thanks!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I would try a running martingale as this is less severe than a harbridge as it only comes into use when the horse raises its head above a normal height. Have you considered that your horse may not be comfortable with his current bit, it may be too severe for him or he may dislike the material or action of it. Also when you ride try to have a soft elastic contact, he may be throwing his head as he feels the contact is too strong or erratic, have some lessons on him with a good instructor if you don't already and try to ride him more from your seat and less with your hands. Also I would suggest getting his teeth checked if they haven't been recently (within the last 6 months), as these could be sharp and so making him uncomfortable in his mouth. If he is a young horse he may have wolf teeth coming through which again would make him uncomfortable and so reluctant to accept a rein contact.