Hard feed for Highland

Caol Ila

Yes, yes, you're all going to tell me Highlands live on air. But he's on Forageplus hoof balancer, and I need something to throw the powder into. I've been using Gypsum's leftover Dengie Hi-Fi molasses free but that has alfafa in it, and I am questioning whether it's the best thing for him. He gets a handful and eats his balancer.

Is there anything better?

Widgeon

Is he sensitive to alfalfa? I have 12 horses on it, and they are all fine. I actively choose to feed it, unless there's an issue
My cob munches through alfalfa every day and it has absolutely no effect - so I probably wouldn't worry about your Highland having it unless it actually seems to be affecting him adversely - he might be fine. It's just another thing to worry about isn't it!

HBB

I use unmolassed beet pulp and micronised linseed as a base to add my powdered vit/min supplement to. All my natives look very well on this basic bucket feed, along with best quality hay when required.

Caol Ila

He might be fine on the Alfafa. I changed his hoof boots today -- from Gypsum's hand-me-down Scoots to his own, personally fitted, brand new shiny pair of Renegade Vipers, and he was a lot less spooky. He's never had his own slave before, and he's never had shiny new things bought only for him by aforesaid slave. He is milking this one.

teddy_eq

TopSpec do a high fibre mash, I know a Highland enthusiast who feeds this and hers are certainly not overweight :D.

Great in the winter months as you can make it with warm water and also great in the summer months as it's hydrating.

Peglo

My good doer is on speedi beet and hi-fi molasses free to carry her vits and mins. It’s good on the £’s as the oldies cost me a fortune on hard feed.

PapaverFollis

I have one fatty on Spillers speedy mash and the other on Dengie healthy hooves for their minerals. No complaints. I was worried about the alfalfa in the healthy hooves but honestly there's been no issue. I got fed up of trying to source feeds that aren't readily available!

Merry Equimas

I wonder if there is a list (like that one that is posted for the sugar in chaff)

I too need to give a little something to my fatty who needs her daily meds. I’m giving grass nuts purely because I have a bag (it doesn’t go off…does it?) and she eats it. But considering she’s on metformin I might be cancelling out the meds lol