Harlow council target gipsy horses

Stateside

Visit site
On Horse and Hound web site Harlow council & redwings target travlers horses not having passports.out of 30 odd horses only 2 had passports, if this was any of us we would be finded for not haveing a passport for horses in our control,but these people get away with it and get there horses wormed chiped and a passport supplied. Why is there one law for us and a no laws for travlers. Well I wont be giving Redwings any more money.The traverls have more than enough money to do this themselfs but choose not to.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Yep know what you mean. There's a whole list of people who plague the rest of us but you'll NEVER, ever, in a zillion years, see them anywhere near a "travellers" site coz the poor darlings might just get told where to go and/or get hurt.

They are: RSPCA officers, social workers/child protection officers, school attendance officers, traffic wardens, tax inspectors, planning/local government bods ...... I'm sure others can add to this list.

They're all *****e scared to go there but won't admit it, so they hassle the rest of us who pay our taxes, pay our bills and try to behave like law-abiding citizens.

LOL.

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
I spoke out the other week about travellers and the post was removed by the FAT CONTROLLER as I suppose this one may be:rolleyes: I only stated what the Majority of PEOPLE THINK and TOLD THE TRUTH one rule for one and another for the majority:mad::mad::mad:

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Yep know what you mean. There's a whole list of people who plague the rest of us but you'll NEVER, ever, in a zillion years, see them anywhere near a "travellers" site coz the poor darlings might just get told where to go and/or get hurt.

They are: RSPCA officers, social workers/child protection officers, school attendance officers, traffic wardens, tax inspectors, planning/local government bods ...... I'm sure others can add to this list.

They're all *****e scared to go there but won't admit it, so they hassle the rest of us who pay our taxes, pay our bills and try to behave like law-abiding citizens.

LOL.

Well I am a local authority person who's sole purpose (apparently) is to plague law-abiding citizens (not) who spends a heck of a lot of time plaguing travellers too. I havent been hurt (yet) and dont care if they tell me where to go. In many ways I agree that its not blinkin fair when we good tax paying folk have to part with our hard earned pennies to get our horses passported or microchipped. On the other hand I know how much money it will be costing that Council/RSPCA etc to try to deal with straying/abandoned/ill treated horses. The benefits and time savings probably outweighs the cost. Plus the horses will get a dose of wormer for once.

Last edited:

shadowboy

Visit site
totally. Friend of mine went to a horse fair fully of gypsy/traditional types and guess what she found- he saddle that had been stolen about 2 months previously. She called police as the guy selling it wouldnt give it back (obviously) and they did nothing - despite her having photos on her phone of the saddle- she had to pay £100 to get it back.

Stateside

Visit site
Well I am a local authority person who's sole purpose (apparently) is to plague law-abiding citizens (not) who spends a heck of a lot of time plaguing travellers too. I havent been hurt (yet) and dont care if they tell me where to go. In many ways I agree that its not blinkin fair when we good tax paying folk have to part with our hard earned pennies to get our horses passported or microchipped. On the other hand I know how much money it will be costing that Council/RSPCA etc to try to deal with straying/abandoned/ill treated horses. The benefits and time savings probably outweighs the cost. Plus the horses will get a dose of wormer for once.

Easy really horse with no passport taken away from owner a passport granted and horse put up for auction, hard but fair,only way forward is hit them hard the softly softly tatics are laughable .

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Easy really horse with no passport taken away from owner a passport granted and horse put up for auction, hard but fair,only way forward is hit them hard the softly softly tatics are laughable .

Hmm - under what legislation would you be seizing the animals? Who pays for stabling/livery, feed, vet and farrier care. If they are travellers horses you would need them to be in a 'secure' environment lest they be spirited away. Who physicaly looks after the horse and transports them to the auction. I would be suprised if some of the horses made enough to cover the auction fees let alone the care. Poor specimens are likely to go be purchased by the meat man - so then ther would be another public outcry. FGS most councils can barely afford to run their statutory dog services without having to deal with horses as well - Your idea is great in theory but you need to live in the real world

joeanne

Visit site
Hmm - under what legislation would you be seizing the animals?

Law now states you cannot sell/buy/keep an equine without a valid passport.
Under that law I daresay a horse/pony found not to be having a passport could be given a specified timeline to get one, and after that time expires, then the horse/pony could be seized by the local authority, passported by them and then sold to recover thier costs.
If that were to happen the minority that refuse to passport might pull fingers out and get it done!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Law now states you cannot sell/buy/keep an equine without a valid passport.
Under that law I daresay a horse/pony found not to be having a passport could be given a specified timeline to get one, and after that time expires, then the horse/pony could be seized by the local authority, passported by them and then sold to recover thier costs.
If that were to happen the minority that refuse to passport might pull fingers out and get it done!

You daresay incorrectly.

The enforcing authority are the County Council or Unitary Authority, not the 'Local Authority'. Trading standards officers or Animal Health Officers have powers to enter property , investigate, mark animals and take evidence. The only power of seizure applies to documentation!

The penalty for not having a passport is a fine on summary conviction. The only time property could be seized is by way of baliffs taking property for non payment of fines - which we all know rarely happens - 50p a week of the dole cheque if you are lucky!

Here is a link to The Horse Passports Regulations 2009

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/1611/pdfs/uksi_20091611_en.pdf

Last edited:

indie999

Visit site
We have laws for everything but no one that will enforce them.

So what was the point of the law! I believe politicians come up with them to make us feel we are being listened to but in fact nothing gets done. The only people that can fight are the ones that get legal aid.

Where as I would probably have to sell my house