Harry in or out??

debonhorse

Visit site
Tomorrow we collect our new shetland pony 'Harry' We have got to drive with him for 3.5 hours, 1st question is should I stop along the way to give him a leg stretch, drink etc.??
2nd question ... it is going to be nearly dark when we get him home. My 2 other horses will have been brought in for the night so do I turn Harry out into a strange field alone, after a long journey, or would it be better if I put him in the stable (beside the other 2) for the first night until he is over the journey, and slowly introduce him to them, over the stable doors in the morning?
We have fenced a small area of the field off, so that he can go in there to start with while the others get used to seeing him around a bit. I also have another new horse arriving on Friday, so they are all going to be a little unsettled for a few days. I am hoping to ride him out with 1 of the mares to start with, before turning him out with her, is this a good plan?

Chex

Visit site
I would possibly stop to offer him a drink mid journey. I would keep him in the first night, he might not settle out by himself, and get more stressed.

natz

Visit site
It depends how well he is travelling - but I would prob let him have a little stroll half way, offer water etc - make the experience as nice as poss! As for putting him out or leaving him in, I would deff leave him in . . . the others will be able to hear him and he will prob be more settled if hes got company near by. If you were to turn him out in an un-known field in the dark chances are he will be an un-happy little bunny! Good idea to section a bit of field off, he will get to know your others without being too close!!!!!!!!!
Good luck!

Skhosu

Visit site
Don't take him off the box, everyone experienced says not to, mine have travelled to england and back several times without a bother, 8 hours at least on thr box.
Taking him off will only unsettle him and finding a safe place?!
WOuld offer water though.
I would probably keep him in.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I wouldn't take him off the box especially if it is getting dark, you don't want to end up having trouble getting him back in. Stop and checkon him and offer him a drink. I personally would keep him in overnight, that way he will have time to settle after his journey and get used to his sorroundings