Has any one had this happen before??

ImmyS

Visit site
I feel like only I could have such a silly thing happen to me, but I hope maybe I’m not alone ?

I have a field shelter with a section on the side I use as a feed room/ tack room. It has a little twiddly lock and a shoot bolt.
Minding my own business and pull the door to as always while I make the feeds. Go to open the door and I am good and proper locked inside!! Cue hysteria and panic plus claustrophobia!!

Banging, shouting and ringing my OH who was with the dog and typically didn’t have his phone on him. Eventually was rescued when he realised I had been gone far too long!!

My lovely horse Finn obviously wasn’t very hungry as he had sneakily pulled the shoot bolt right across and down!! He is a bugger!!

Attachments

• 921E3A09-97EB-4D10-8C88-D8A5A1FD89F4.jpeg
    921E3A09-97EB-4D10-8C88-D8A5A1FD89F4.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 57

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Not quite the same, but we have a people door from the yard to the shelter and it has bolts both sides and itchy horses have been known to shut the door from their side. We can still get in through the field gate?

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Had similar but from a two-legged naughty boy. A former livery's husband used to think it was hysterical to close bottom kick bolts while people were in their stables, or shoot the outside bolt across the loo door while you were in there. He found it even more hysterical if he did it just as they were leaving the yard and didn't tell anyone what he had done. Dreadful man.

smolmaus

Visit site
Not yet! I have been locked in a stable by a child and also by myself (not checking the kick bolt) but not a pony (so far) ? Though she has turned the light off on me.

Had similar but from a two-legged naughty boy. A former livery's husband used to think it was hysterical to close bottom kick bolts while people were in their stables, or shoot the outside bolt across the loo door while you were in there. He found it even more hysterical if he did it just as they were leaving the yard and didn't tell anyone what he had done. Dreadful man.
May he fall in a well ?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've been locked in the stable with the kick bolt a time or two and had to call for help being too decrepit to climb over the high door. Also once when I was seeing to a friend's horse got trapped in the stable by the farm dog who had decided I was the enemy and had to get it called off when someone finally appeared.

Ratface

Visit site
I've been locked in by the kick bolt being flipped over by His Impatient Lordship indicating that it's supper time NOW.
Fortunately, being tall has its' plus points, and I can do a forward roll over the bottom half of the door.
Wretched animal.

Annagain

Visit site
I've had to empty waterbuckets under the door and turn them upside down to stand on to climb over a stable door in the past.

A fellow livery's husband also decided to lock me in my tack room by locking the external bolt. It was an old tractor shed so had double doors although nobody ever opens the one door. I could simply escape by opening the (internal) bolts on the other door and pushing both doors. I waited until I heard him walk away, got out, bolted the main door from the outside then hid round the corner. After about five minutes he came to check why I hadn't made a noise and just as he unbolted the door I snuck up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder. The look on his face was priceless! He still doesn't know how I got out.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've had the kick bolt drop on me a couple of times, obviously I didn't kick it round far enough and it dropped when the door was shut...Its amazing how high stable doors are when there's literally nothing to stand on!

Been there, done that, it's amazing how high even the shetlands door seems when you're trying to climb over it!

Pippity

Visit site
I've been in a stable with a sliding door when a shavings fork shifted and blocked the door from sliding. Thankfully I had a hoofpick and it gave me just enough reach to wiggle the fork out of the way. I was panicking enough in a nice, airy stable on a busy yard - I'd have had the screaming heebie-jeebies in your place! (I'm very claustrophobic.)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've remembered that I have a friend who was in her late 70s who got into her trailer through a jockey door with no internal handle and let it shut behind her in winter. She nearly died of hypothermia before she was found ?

chocolategirl

Visit site
I feel like only I could have such a silly thing happen to me, but I hope maybe I’m not alone ?

I have a field shelter with a section on the side I use as a feed room/ tack room. It has a little twiddly lock and a shoot bolt.
Minding my own business and pull the door to as always while I make the feeds. Go to open the door and I am good and proper locked inside!! Cue hysteria and panic plus claustrophobia!!

Banging, shouting and ringing my OH who was with the dog and typically didn’t have his phone on him. Eventually was rescued when he realised I had been gone far too long!!

My lovely horse Finn obviously wasn’t very hungry as he had sneakily pulled the shoot bolt right across and down!! He is a bugger!!
My dog has often managed to shut the bottom kick bolt on my stable doors, which are extra height ones of course, while I’m inside skipping out etc, I’ve then had to, in an unimaginably ungainful manner, climb out over the top of the door. At almost 60 years old, I can tell you, it’s no mean feat? must admit, if I was locked in proper, I’d go into full blown panic mode?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Not a stable tale, but I once locked myself in my bathroom on the first floor. I proceeded to have a panic attack, contemplated jumping out the window and then managed to hulk the door open somehow. I still to this day am impressed with where the strength came from...I'm 5ft nothing and as weak as they come.

...I don't lock the bathroom door anymore. Ever. Unless it's a slidey lock/catch.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Not a stable tale, but I once locked myself in my bathroom on the first floor. I proceeded to have a panic attack, contemplated jumping out the window and then managed to hulk the door open somehow. I still to this day am impressed with where the strength came from...I'm 5ft nothing and as weak as they come.

...I don't lock the bathroom door anymore. Ever. Unless it's a slidey lock/catch.

We have a toilet with washbasin on the first floor: very small, no window.

The lock jammed with my daughter in there. Of course she had her phone with her and so could send me an SMS to come to the rescue, and with a coin and a lot of effort managed to unlock it from the outside.

We now keep a screwdriver on the small bookcase that is in there, so that if any visitors forget to not lock the door and it jams again, they'll at least be able to unscrew and remove the lock.

One day, OH is going to get around to choosing new handles and locks for the first floor doors (it's already been about four years she's been on about doing that, but hasn't found any she likes, yet).

Spotherisk

Visit site
I've remembered that I have a friend who was in her late 70s who got into her trailer through a jockey door with no internal handle and let it shut behind her in winter. She nearly died of hypothermia before she was found ?

I had a friend who did this after hunting, middle of Dartmoor, on her own. Horse was travelled with no partition. She tried to climb over the back ramp, something happened and she ended up trampled under the hind feet. She was very lucky that someone was passing and on opening the back ramp dragged her out. She was in a bad way for a very long time but has made a recovery and still rides.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I've had the kick bolt drop on me a couple of times, obviously I didn't kick it round far enough and it dropped when the door was shut...Its amazing how high stable doors are when there's literally nothing to stand on!

Try it in a close fitting skirt when you are chucking in feeds on your way to work!!!!

Sealine

Visit site

That's happened to me a few times too. If I've not got any mucking out tools in the stable and no one else is around I've had to use my horse as a climbing frame to help me climb over the door. Luckily he doesn't mind :)

Fransurrey

Visit site
My field neighbour at my old yard was always a victim of this. I had a phone call from her once. She'd left the step outside that she kept in there - that's how often her horse locked her in!