Has anybody any experiences of canine pancreatitis?

amage

Visit site
Poor Rory dog is in the vets this evening and they suspect pancreatitis. He has been with my parents for three weeks as I've been away for work. He came home last nite in super form and full of the joys of life. This morning he was a bit peaky but nothing major. He stayed with oh for a few hours while I went off with a horse and he puked a few times but was happily chasing cats, "herding" calves and doing his general day to day terrier jobs! Anywho I cam back and we came home for lunch where he started puking alot....mainly frothy bile. He was listless and I rang vets who took him in straight away. They have kept him and have bloods being run overnight and he is on fluids. He loves the vets (weird dog) and likes to chat to everyone but this evening was just listless and miserable. If bloods don't throw any light on things he'll be sedated and xrayed in the morning but I am horribly worried. It feels like history repeating itself...my last dog died after getting horribly ill from what transpired to be a rat bite. So any thoughts? any experience of pancreatitis? His pain reaction to palpation was more at the front of his stomach just below his last ribs rather than back between his back legs. We know he definitely did not get a kick or puck from calves/cows/horses and he was fit as a fiddle this time yesterday

Echo24

Visit site
I've known a dog that's fully recovered from pancreatitis and he was very poorly when he had it. Not sure what sure what kind of treatment he had but he was in the vets for at least two weeks. Fingers crossed your one makes a full recovery x

amage

Visit site
I've known a dog that's fully recovered from pancreatitis and he was very poorly when he had it. Not sure what sure what kind of treatment he had but he was in the vets for at least two weeks. Fingers crossed your one makes a full recovery x

Oh thank you that is reassuring!

fidgeuk

Visit site
Yes.

My dog, Badger had this in August this year.

Horrible experience, listless, puking, high temperature & at the doggie hospital for 2 nights & 3 days, had xrays, blood tests on a drip, anti-biotics & painkillers.

Made a complete recovery :)

I felt at the time we were close to losing him because the vets were very worried about him. Thankfully it all turned out well and he's full of beans again but on a strict no fat diet.

I hope it all works out for you and your dog :)

amage

Visit site
Yes.

My dog, Badger had this in August this year.

Horrible experience, listless, puking, high temperature & at the doggie hospital for 2 nights & 3 days, had xrays, blood tests on a drip, anti-biotics & painkillers.

Made a complete recovery :)

I felt at the time we were close to losing him because the vets were very worried about him. Thankfully it all turned out well and he's full of beans again but on a strict no fat diet.

I hope it all works out for you and your dog :)

Oh thank you aswell that is good to hear. The poor wee mite was so sad looking this evening.

fidgeuk

Visit site
They look so sorry for themselves, don't they? Badger was so bad he wouldn't eat and as he's half lab (the other half is Border Collie) so not eating was rather unusual.

What really swung it for me was the fact he'd been in the garden digging a shallow hole (I want to put grave here!), not that unusual but he hadn't cleaned his paws off & they were really dirty - he always has really white paws. very worrying.

Anyway, he recovered, has lost some weight and looks amazing - full of bounce again.

Fingers crossed Rory dog pulls through for you

amage

Visit site
They look so sorry for themselves, don't they? Badger was so bad he wouldn't eat and as he's half lab (the other half is Border Collie) so not eating was rather unusual.

What really swung it for me was the fact he'd been in the garden digging a shallow hole (I want to put grave here!), not that unusual but he hadn't cleaned his paws off & they were really dirty - he always has really white paws. very worrying.

Anyway, he recovered, has lost some weight and looks amazing - full of bounce again.

Fingers crossed Rory dog pulls through for you

Thank you. Fingers crossed we know more in the morning. He's a fit healthy wee dog usually though not the biggest eater.

CAYLA

Visit site
Don't stress just yet those are very vague symptoms, has he had any weight loss? loose faeces? if indeed he had it, it's treatable/manageable and there are some good drugs on the market along side a strict diet (low fat) and apparently feeding (pigs pancreas) is beneficial too (yack):) im sure the dogs don't mind.
What breed is he?

amage

Visit site
Cayla he's a rough haired jack Russell type terrier. All indications from bloods are that it is indeed pancreatitis. He was very bright and full of himself this morning. Now that anti puke drug has worn off they will monitor him today and maybe try a little boiled chicken later and see how he goes with that. He is also staying on his drip for today. Tummy is still tender to touch but nowhere near as sensitive as last night.

Old Bat

Visit site
My mum's dog gets recurrent bouts that are triggered if she manages to nick something she shouldn't be eating! Very similar symptoms to fidgeuk's dog and she recovers every time, its very stressful when it happens though as she does look as though she is at death's door.....strict no fat diet.

amage

Visit site
Thanks for all the posts guys. Rory is home. He stayed improving throughout the day and chewed through his drip line...even sick he does embarrassing things!!! He wouldn't eat in vets but given that I live around the corner from vet on call tonight they decided to send him home to see would he be more settled. He came home, ate up that revolting I/D recovery food and is now curled up in bed staring at fire place and at me....I guess that's me told to light the fire for him!!

Teaselmeg

Visit site
So glad your boy is home !

My Teasel had pancreatitis two months ago, she was very poorly for a couple of days, in the vets on fluids and painkillers. She came home after two days and first of all I fed her on chappie ( refused to feed the prescription diet my vet was pushing me to have), but she is now back on raw food, with a close eye kept on what treats etc that she has. It took a while for her to get back to her normal self and she was so skinny, but gradually she has put a little weight back on.

Lucyad

Visit site
My GSD is prone to it, and it is horrible - we thought she was at death's door last attack a month or so ago. She is now off RAW as even the amount of fat on the tripe we were feeding her, and, for examaple, chicken skin/wings etc. seems to set her off. She is on a strict diet of skinless chicken breast and rice or Royal Canine GSD food (I know not one of the ones recommended on here, but seems to manage on it, and she is also very fussy, so turns her nose up at many other dried foods). You will be glad to hear though, that she has totally recovered from the two attacks she has had, and is fine now.

Fingers crossed for your dog x

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Oh bless him :(

Our late GSD had pancreatitis - she was put on a no fat diet straight away after diagnosis. She became listless, dehydrated and miserable.

unfortunately, she was put to sleep shortly after diagnosis last October aged 10 (due to kidney tumour and a number of different ailments) so as for treatment and recovery, I'm not too sure.

Good luck for your Rory though! :)
K x

amage

Visit site
So he is bright as a button today but tummy was very uncomfortable after eating last night. He only ate a few spoonfuls of the recovery food the vets sent home with him. He actually looked like a horse with mild colic last night. He's due back at vets today for a check up so will see what they think