Has anybody ever had any experience with ...?

Potato!

Visit site
Have you ever had experience with a horse that throws himself on the floor cause he was having a strop both on the lunge and under saddle on the lunge.

All checks carried out. It's defiantly a strop. He was being a bit nappy and as he was not allowed to go back to the yard and he just fell on the floor. He got up checked him ( he was ok) and carried on. I got on him whilst still on the lunge and he had another little strop then all of a sudden he dropped his head stamped his foot rolled his eyes and dropped to the ground, I jumped off before he rolled on me. I got on and got after him but every time he backed off and tried to put his head down I pulled him up and kicked him on to get him going forwards. After 3 more attempts to drop he started to work.

Don't know I've never known a horse do this but. My friend who was helping me thinks he's learnt that by throwing him on the floor he gets out of doing what he doesn't want to do. She thinks its going to take a lot of work to get out of this habit as now he has done it under saddle it could be quite dangerous especially if he decides to do it on the hunting field.

Has anybody got any tips on how to stop him doing this before he damages himself or the saddle.

farrierswife

Visit site
Not experienced this before but it sounds like you need to iron out this problem ASAP as like you said you don't want him trying it when out riding. Might need two of you do lunge him to keep him going forward and don't let him stop until you have finished your session. How long has this been happening? Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Mia&Vin

Visit site
I had a horse that used to throw himself on the floor before I got him, he never did it with me but I believe there were physical reasons. Just out of interest does he do it without a saddle on?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yes, I had a mare that did it. She was the most severe napper I have ever met and when I initially bought her home she would refuse to leave the yard alone and would simply plant, and if you pressure her to move forwards she would spin, buck, fly buck and finally throw herself onto her left hand side. She came to me doing it though, and I didn't know her background so I couldn't hazard a guess at what started the behaviour in the first place, but nobody could ever find anything wrong with her physically.

After she had had time off for all her health checks I got back on her and went out, and if (or more accurately when) she threw herself on the floor I used my right leg (as my left leg was generally not in a position to help), to get her back up without me getting off and I would continue to ask her to move forwards. After about three weeks of doing this and leading her out in hand she was still nappy, but the party tricks had disappeared apart from the occasional spin (and my left leg wasn't black with bruising anymore :rolleyes:), and she never went down again after that (though she did still have a wicked buck at times ;)).

I'm not sure whether that anecdote is of any help, because really all I did was ride her through it - but it wasn't a hard habit to break once it didn't get the desired result.

Potato!

Visit site
He's had back teeth and saddle checked. Previously he tried to roll but as not allowed to get away with it. Yes he does it without a saddle on aswell. Usually when being asked to do something he dislikes doing, or any form of schooling ( even just walking around an arena. This is the 1st time of throwing himself on the floor but there is usually a protest of some form. Each time he tried something new as he's not allowed to stop because he's having a paddy. Previously getting down to roll and get up buck at whoever is lunging him and trying to p*** off with them ( had someone working with him for me would stop as soon as he starts playing up) now no longer has anything to do with him.

iconique

Visit site
My now 6 year old used to. It's only now (with her having everything checked regularly!) that she still throws in a hormonal tantrum.
You don't say how old (or I've missed it) your horse is?

Our solution was because of her age to keep turning her away, being extremely patient and being consistent in routine and firmness. At least now it's not anywhere like it was lol!

Potato!

Visit site
He is now 6 but still green. He was vary nappy and would plant when he was younger I seem to have gotten over that and is not forward going out hacking but he has a paddy when asked to do anything more.

sychnant

Visit site
I have known a couple of horses do this when they just couldn't cope with what they were being asked to do. You say he has had all the checks and nothing is physically wrong, and you say he is green, so is it possible he doesn't understand what you want? Just a thought :)

Potato!

Visit site
I don't see how he doesn't understand walk on around a school yet he understands walk on outdoors on a hack.

leflynn

Visit site
Mine used to go from trot to roll on the lunge when he got bored, giving him a preemptive flick up the bum from a lunge whip to keep him going forward did the trick (although it took me a while to learnt he very subtle sign as he was damn quick!)

Potato!

Visit site
He will work nicely for a out 5 minutes then he will throw a strop. Nothing physically wrong with him. He is a thug by nature ( his attitude is 'you want me to do that then make me')

Janah

Visit site
A friend hd an ex racer mare that used to do that. Started off not going forward when asked and when asked more strongly would run backwards and chuck herself on the floor. She was given 2 years off and bred a lovely foal and was exactly the same when brought slowly back into work. She was PTS as she was dangerous.
They never found a physical problem, not for the want of trying.

Foal went on to do very well in eventing.

Last edited:

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Has he seen a vet?
You said back, teeth and saddle.

Could be something in the brain or heart.
When hid heart rate rises due to stress I.E when he's stroppy he could loose conciousness, even if just for a second. Enough time to fall.

Potato!

Visit site
I really don't think that's the case at all. He only throws a strop when he he is asked to do something he doesn't like. He has previously seen a vet who has found nothing wrong just that he is stroppy stubborn and very opinionated.

Potato!

Visit site
He doesn't have issues with his heart as he is perfectly happy when doing things he enjoys like hunting

HardySoul1

Visit site
We have a cob with bags of "character" who tried this. Once. When schooling he napped and refused to move when he'd had enough. When this was ignored he lay down, shocked rider jumped off and cob instantly got up looking smug. Help was called for and lunge whip at ready to make it clear this would not be tolerated. He finished schooling session on riders terms and never tried it since.
Having said that, if your horse is happy to hack but refuses to school, he is trying to make his point. He dislikes schooling but not all riding , so is he bored/tired/stressed/confused/irritated by it? Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to make work more enjoyable for him to solve the problem long term. Yes short term find a way of getting him moving like flicking sand or water at him, but you wouldn't bully a child who hated school work and expect good results. Lessons that are fun are easier to learn!