has anybody started rugging up yet?

ticobay831

Visit site
Just wondered really, ive got my old horses rugged up weathers been awfull. Havent rugged up Anakan yet didnt know if i should leave him a bit longer give his coat chance to grow a bit. He seems ok but i do worry about him.
Has anybody rugged up their youngsters yet, or am i being a bit over protected!!?
Debs x

Reashi

Visit site
Reashi's already got a full neck on for over night, and a thick one with no full neck for daytime! And hes not even clipped yet! Under angelas instructions though...

bellgave

Visit site
Oh yes!!! All mine are rugged (except the stalloin who refuses to wear one!!!) All in light weight stable rugs at night and fleeces in the day!! No horses to HOYS this year or they would have been wearing a lot more than that!!!

TGM

Visit site
Mine all have LW turnouts on, but to be honest two of them only wear them to keep them clean to ride. Before my girl was backed she wintered out fine without a rug all winter.

My retired mare needs rugging though - she is 7/8TB and tends to get rainscald in the wet if unrugged.

CastleMouse

Visit site
Castle is rugged up, he has a hunter clip
smile.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
yep dan rugged up as is Fleur. Fleur is out 24/7 Dan is currently but will be in overnight after the weekend so may be bare overnight depends on the weather. When Fleur comes in it will be when temperature so dictates and she will be rugged overnight in stable as well

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yep,laddo is clipped out and in.
Cob has a light weight thing on because he really doesnt need anything else yet, and mare and big lad are still rugless
smile.gif

sorona

Visit site
Will rug up when horses dry out, so probably after HT on Sat. All live out 24/7 and will be clipped at the end of month so will be in mid weights. Have to admit, I forgot to take the rugs up last night so feel a bit guilty now as its raining and not particularly warm!

Louby

Visit site
I was in a tither last night as my boy was the only horse on the yard without a rug and he was fine like you all said...thank you. Ive succumbed tonight and put a cooler on him but just come in and its 14.5 degrees here so although wet its not cold. My boys in at night naked until now but with a LW turnout on in the day, Id definately have something on him if he was out 24/7. Read the forecast for the next week and apparantly its getting to 18 degrees. I hate this time of year.

Ginn

Visit site
Yep - my 2yr old has been rugged on and off for the last month (only a l/w) and has had it on all week with the horrible weather. She's also been comming in at night this week and has worn a fleece in her stable. But she is a huge wimp when she gets cold and wet....

Tia

Visit site
No, way too early to rug here. My guys will probably be unrugged for at least another month or two. We are still in the midst of summer coats spewing out all over the place! Well into the 20's still at the moment so too hot for rugs.

Our horses need to have a fairly decent winter coat before we rug because of the extremely cold temperatures in January/February.

Parkranger

Visit site
Mine only has a rain sheet during the day and a fleece at night - don't want to put anything too warm on till mid october (maybe later) as he seems to be doing ok at the moment......

S_N

Visit site
No, but I wish I could. I know B would appreciate it - hence stabling them at night. Weaning, thankfully, is approaching - then she will be rugged! Hector has taken LOTS off her!

pottamus

Visit site
Well yes...if you read my previous post about my nice cob turning into a nutcase...it is because the weather has changed. So I have had to put his rug on during the day to prevent further grumpy behaviour!!! The change in him when I brought him in tonight was quite marked...he even said hello to me! So he obviously wanted it the big pussy cat!!!

rcm_73

Visit site
My TB has a lightweight combo on for now. Comes off in the day IF the weather's warm enough. She's not clipped yet but will be coming in at night by the end of the month if not before and clipping usually happens some time after that.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Nope - but they are a gypsy cob and a clydesdale.

They will start wearing rugs once it turns cold - being in Essex it has been wet, but not seriously cold.

They are both very hairy and are plenty warm enough when I check them.

Come end of the month they will be in at night and then will be clipped and rugged.

Only problem I have is that anything other than very light work is giving me one very sweaty horse.