Has anyone been successful at coloured showing?

Bri

Visit site
If so could you post pictures of your horse/pony please? Thinking of doing some coloured classes with my lad, but not sure what judges are looking for? Obviously I know it will vary hugely from judge to judge but would still be nice to see

miss_c

Visit site
My friend's foal that I run for her. She won all three of her classes at her first show.

13764_570644783130_200900908_34255141_5352085_n.jpg

Bri

Visit site
She is very sweet fihunt - what breed is she? what level showing was that?

JoBo is there anything that little cob of yours can't turn his hoof too! How well did you do at local level?

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Well we have actually only done 3 showing shows as it’s not my thing, I like the fast stuff, lol.
One show, we won the coloured class, and won the championship. The other I think we came 2nd, and once we came 4th. The classes were of about 8.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
This is my mare's daughter and since being with her lovely current owner she has won the championship a few times in the Isle of man, she is very well marked as you can see

At 2/3yrs old
075-1.jpg

5ish
068.jpg

11/12yrs
c7181e77-1-1.jpg

Winning with her new owner about 3/4yrs ago, aged 13 ish
wizardwinning.jpg

Last edited:

Bri

Visit site
I guess at local level it probably does come down to judges personal preference as you get so many different 'types' in one class.

M - she's a lovely little horse, I'm not surprised she's done so well. I have to say I think I prefer more colour than white...will have to start colouring my lads white patches!

monkeybum13

Visit site
This is how not too do it:
Judge hated Missy, told me she wasn't marked well enough and that she wasn't "on the bit" enough - the day before she got 75% by a BD listed judge! (Showing judge wanted obese and overbent!)
Anyway here's a piccy, dressed up for an event not showing but you get the idea
001.jpg

jessamess

Visit site
One of the main things judges like is even markings, so basically the same about of white and black/brown also the horse has to have symmetrical so not loads of white on one side ect

Also judges like a nice head- not like a cow head as my instructor (who is also a national level judge for arabs, part breds, vetrans, M&M and coloureds) which is basically where there head is white or they have a massive blase/white face where the white goes behind their eyes... my instrustor also dislikes wall eyes!!!

Obvs all judges are different regarding the wall eye ect and also what types they like- hariy, cobs ect (although split county/national level)

hope this helps in some way :)

xxx

devilwoman

Visit site
Hi, my filly has been really successful this year, has won lots of her shows out (youngstock and coloured classes and was supreme champion of a large county show - she was 2 in the picture :- good luck with your showing :

009-Copy.jpg

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
Here's my boy (retired now) - won at HOYS and County level (not with me :rolleyes:) and RC (with me!) :eek:

This is Tom at the Royal Lancs withmy friend on board

rls2006036a.jpg

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
devils - that is a beautiful youngster!!! :)

FMM is the lady to talk to about successful coloured showing! She owns the Humdinger - champion HoYS coloured.................. and is overall a BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL horse!!! :)

Dolsey1

Visit site
It depends what type yours is as to what they are looking for :)
Markings strictly shouldn't come into the equation.
Here is a picture of my native pony at home today - I do have show pictures but can't be bothered to find the links! :p
25911_10150151578690705_666920704_11354636_7078455_n.jpg

She's been successful at local and county level last year especially getting a couple of places in HOYS qualifiers. Not shown her that much but plan to get her out quite a bit this year.

royal

Visit site
For CHAPS/BSPA classes, the judges don't actually take markings into account at all - unless in the event of a complete tie break....

One of the major things they look at is straightness - the ride mark is also quite high and judges like an 'easy push button' ride....(if under 153cm, the judge doesn't ride)....they look for horses that are very correct and true to type....my girl is a non-native and is a riding horse type.

At local level, I think the judges tend to go for what they actually like as a type as their coloured classes are very mixed with trads and non-natives in the same classes....

Otimoo

Visit site
Here is me showing a friends horse (cracker) warming up at edenbridge and oxted we did very well at local level and reasonably well at county he needed lots of work and was exhausting to ride so usually let ourselves down in the canter (they seems to make you go round for ever! and he was very lazy!)
GEDC0403.jpg

GEDC0401.jpg

GEDC0385.jpg

GEDC0385.jpg

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Some pics of coloureds that we are showing/have shown - different types etc. Generally, we try to have dark heads, dark over the rump and dark tails as this is the most flattering for the horse. Can't always get it though!

Carnaby Street - 4 year old hunter (only done one show a few weeks ago)
He has spotty legs which is quite unusual!
squigley2010.jpg

The Humdinger - 8 year old cob -
dingerhickstead1.jpg

Would love his leg colouring to match front and back - but hey, you can't have everything!!!

Red Andes - 6 year old HW Hunter
andypandybucks.jpg

winchester

Visit site
I have been showing coloureds for 14 years!!! Hooked on them!!! Come from riding Club Level right up to HOYS these are my main three:

WINCHESTER D

Photo0018.jpg

ENERGY

Photo0219.jpg

UPDOWN CHUSAN

WEB2.jpg

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Meant to say that Red Andes and Dinger have done/do quite a lot of in hand showing where they also do well.
Carnaby Street did well in his 3 year old loose jumping in Ireland last year - but will probably not show in hand.

winchester

Visit site
Thank you!!! Winchester D is the love of my life my dream horse i have wanted since a little girl!!!

Are you doing Royal Windsor In hand with Dinger this year? I have entered Chester for the in hand not sure if i will keep up though lol want to swap??

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Not sure - he won it two years ago, we entered last year but I chickened out at the last minute as I wasn't feeling energetic enough! So would bet my sister won't enter me this year!!! He really moves in his trot and I actually have to go into training before doing an in hand class with him ... Just practice running very fast on grass for the two weeks before the class - you'll be fine ...
I am glad they have split the riddens at Windsor into 4 classes - last year was dreadful with people falling off and being sent out of the ring - should be a lot safer this year!

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
Ahh see after seeing red andes as well FMM I am like hmmmmmmmmmm possibly contemplate getting a coloured hunter?! then get to do 2 different classes! :) hehe

They are all so beautiful!! and am very impressed as to how white you all get the white bits!!!

Stacie_and_Jed

Visit site
I dont have any pics on my work comp but there is one in my siggy of him showing.

I won the coloured class at the 1st show i went to last year and qualified for the Royal London (didnt go due to other competing commitments) And i was placed no lower than 3rd in the rest of the coloured classes i put him in.

This year i am hoping to affiliate and try our luck.:)

Bri

Visit site
Thanks everyone - really enjoyed seeing all your pictures. FMM - mine has a dark head, rump and tail an fairly even leg markings too so hopefully we'll do alright! Your horses are all absolutely stunning - as are yours Winchester!

dibbin

Visit site
Showing my friend's mare, in hand at local level. We were 4th (the class was "in hand and ridden coloured, dun, palomino or spotted horse or pony", so it was a bit of a mixed bag lol.
4558_1159203214967_1074375466_30489.jpg

4558_1159200574901_1074375466_30489.jpg

Tiaan

Visit site
What a fantastic thread! I have a coloured youngster and hope to take him to the chaps regionals this year, i'm not sure how we will do because you guys have some beautiful neds!!