Has anyone ever had. . .

Kelly1982

Visit site
a horse that could not jump 2'6 without stacking it that has turned out to be a super star???

I know its still early days with Senza and whilst i love riding her in every other way i still cant see her even going clear around a small course let alone jumping anything half decent!! She just doesn't seem to have any technique at all!!

I look at pics of everyone elses horses on here and look at other peoples horses at shows etc and even the ex-racers just of the track and other peoples babies have better jumping ability than her. I keep serioulsy wondering if she would be better suited to dressage and if i have made a mistake in buying her!!!

Sorry i know i am feeling sorry for myself but i just want to know there is hope out there from other peoples experiences!!

Kelly1982

Visit site
The same!!!

She is not using her shoulders or back end at all and is just diving at the jumps.

I have been doing grid work with her which does help but as soon as the poes are taken away she is back to normal again.

Also my instructor said her bit was too sharpe for her and she was worrying about stretching over the jump because of this so i have changed to a rubber snaffle but its not helped at all. If anything she now just takes the p*ss!!!

Had her teeth checked and all is fine and saddle was check about a month ago.

KatB

Visit site
Loads and loads of A frames, encourage her to snap up. Rmember she is young and not muscled, if you encoureage her tojump properly now, will build correct muscles and help lots when she is older!

Bossanova

Visit site
It's tricky, she's still young and probs will develop her technique more but some horses just arent careful!
If you're wanting to do showjumping more seriously, maybe she isnt the right horse
frown.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
Thats what i am worried about!!! I know she will improve as she gets older etc but i'm not sure she is going to improve enough!!

Was debating whether to send her away to see if the pro's can help sort her out and maybe give me an honest opinion at the end. I want to jump Fox on this horse one day and i just cant honestly see it happening.

Rambo

Visit site
You need to *teach* your horse to jump. A-frames are a great way of doing this, as are grids (with A-frames in them), and also you may find your technique is adversely affecting her too
tongue.gif
What does your instructor say ? It's very difficult to analyse from on top...but much easier with a pair of eyes on the ground
crazy.gif
You know she has the basic technique because you have good photo's of her loose schooling in a nice bascule.....what you need to work out now is what is altering that base
tongue.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
I know you need to teach them but they need something there to go on if that makes sense.

I honestly think that pic of her free schooling was a one off!!!!

My instructor said she is worrying more about what is in her mouth than the jump so is running away from the contact but i have changed her bit and its not helping at all. Was even thinking of trying a hackamore so she has nothing in her mouth at all.

Might get Vicky to ride her for me tonight so i can see for myself from the ground.

Even with all this work put into her i just cant see her jumping any bigger than 1mtr!!!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Will try and get my friend to video me at the weekend as i am doing a show so will get her to film a couple of jumps in the warm up and in the ring too.

Rambo

Visit site
I think you're worrying too much about the future, and not enough about the now
tongue.gif
One step at a time...she's a baby, and seems like she's gonna take a bit longer to develop than some...so what....so long as she gets there in the end
crazy.gif

Until the flatwork is right, the jump is always going to be erratic. She needs to learn to jump with power rather than speed, and that will take time. Your instructor should be helping you towards this, and giving you exercises to do to help ?

Yes, there are some horses that despite all the right grounding are still careless, but i honestly don't rate her in that category from the little i've seen of her
smile.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
But the thing is i dont want to waste my time on something i am going to get nowhere with as harsh as it sounds!!! I dont mind putting in the work if i know the potential is there.

I have NEVER jumped something as careless and as hollow as her and i know i am probably to blame as well but i have never effected a horse in such a way before.

I just want to reassurance that it will come right i suppose and all the hard work will be worth it in the end. I just cant see that at the mo and it feels more like the hard work will be a waste of time when i could be putting my efferts into something that has the potential.

Rambo

Visit site
In that case, pay a pro to ride her for a week or two and get them to give you an honest opinion of where they think she can get to
crazy.gif

Emma123

Visit site
But have you ever had such a young horse before?

Young horses take time to mature and grow. Bailey was broken in the middle of his fifth year so is way behind others, but with time and patience he's finally winning BN and jumping Discoverys DC.

Even though I never had the problem of him being careless, at first it was hard to get him round a course without problems.

How about you try loose schooling her and see if she's still hollow then?