Has anyone ever organised a sponsored or fun ride for Charity?

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com

I am looking into doing this but want to know what I am letting myself in for!

I have a venue , the charity & the idea so far, that is all.
tongue.gif

I presume the easiest way to do it is to charge a set amount, rather than sponsorship - to cover costs of venue & rosettes/etc and then the rest to the charity?

Any thoughts welcome - PM me if you prefer.

Thankies
grin.gif

Demolition_Derby

Visit site
I am not much help but for our 'local' charity ride you have to pay either a mininum entry fee of £20 or get sponsorship - I think it seems work fairly well.

Good luck
smile.gif

lauraandjack

Visit site
A friend of mine ran a charity ride last summer, it was such a success that it spawned a leisure riding club and we are now affiliated to BRC, our next ride is on sunday, open to members and non members.

If memory serves it was £10 to enter the ride, might have been £15. No sponsorship required and you could enter on the day. Approx 10 miles almost all off-road circular route. There was a small food stall as well, and probably a donation pot. It attracted over 45 riders and raised about £800 for the Air Ambulance (quite an achievement in this not terribly horsey part of the world).

You need to make sure riders have adequate personal and 3rd party insurance - this was our main reason for becoming affiliated!

Booboos

Visit site
I organised one for the RDA and got insurance through them which is something you need to take into account. Local RDA helpers helped out on the day because we needed a start/finish stewart, first aider, and one stewart half way (insurance requirements). Entrants also had to fill in a form so that we knew who was who and who to call in an emergency (we didn't have any!). We had a minimum entry fee and then sponsorship on top and made about two thousand pounds. The route was also marked and everyone was given a map.

I don't think that the riders' own liability insurance will cover you as an organiser, it only covers them for their actions not for yours.