Has anyone ever

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Seen someone ride their horse...then realised that maybe the horse was a bit special and you were not good enough for it?

What did you do?

I took Bruce to a dressage clinic today, and the instructor got on and made him look like he could do PSG! She said he was very special, and I am sitting on something that could be really good...which is great but I am no where near good enough for him! What to do...I love him!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
My dressage trainer has said that Spring is really quite special and has the paces and presence to do advanced dressage but I am no-where near good enough, plus she is a pretty good jumper and can go far higher than I would ever want to!
crazy.gif

However the horse doesn't know this and if you feel happy riding them and doing your thing then great and just get on with it, horses have no concept of competing at the Olympics! If you feel that you want him to go on and excel the you could always loan him out to a dressage rider, that way you get the final say in what happens to him. You must feel very proud
grin.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
That's great but does Bruce really care that he isn't doing PSG???????? As long as you enjoy riding him! Any good instructor is going to make your horse look better then you, it's life, plus if you are like me you always think you look worse then you actually do.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
use it as your target with him- aim to get him going as well as your instructor did.

i was having real problems with my grey on the dressage front, so i started having dressage lessons. my instructor got on him and got him going unbelievably, with her reins in bags! so i set it as my aim to get him going as well as she did, and i have accomplished that even though i thought i was too rubbish- it wasnt easy and it took alot of time, but it IS acheivable, if you put enough effort in!

good luck with whatever you choose to do x

pootler

Visit site
Who cares! Nice to know that your horse is great but at the end of the day she/he is yours to enjoy. Horses do not wake up in the morning thinking "hmm wish I was owned by Anky". As long as you are both enjoying life together I really wouldn't worry about it and bask in the fact that someone has said flattering things about your horse.

Gwenneh

www.insanedressagegirl.com
I know the feeling. On one hand, it's nice to have something to grow into; on the other, doesn't it just make you feel like cr*p?

Don't worry about what he does with other people. Would he be half as happy somewhere else as he is with you?

connemaras

www.thekarluksiberianhuskies.com
well didnt ride my boy today my friend did you will see why in my post, but i watched him today and he crries himself soo posh and is beautiful. but i dont think hes too good for me at all! hes too naughty, wouldnt be soo harsh to sell him and give his problems to some poor other! lol

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Thanks guys...just feel a bit down in my ability...but you are right, I bet Anky wouldnt give him as many carrots as I do!

{{{{hugs to you all}}}}}

Agent XXX999

Visit site
PS I suppose its because I wanted to hear "you are doing well on him" when in actual fact I got "he could do so much better (i.e. without you)

Just makes me sad that it all!

pootler

Visit site
My instructor makes my horse look fab when he gets on him. My view is that if my instructor cannot make him go beautifully I am wasting my money on him. (the instructor). If I ride better than the person that is teaching me there is something drastically wrong.

4whitesocks

Visit site
It has happened to me but to be honest I didn't think 'i'm not good enough for him' I thought - you cheeky b*gger if you can do it for her you can do it for me!
Have long since accepted I'm not a great rider but knwing my ned can do it has made me hugely determined to improved so I can get out of him what she can....

we're getting there if that helps you at all, still a long way to go but there's light at the end of the tunnel

clipclop

Visit site
Oh gawd yeah.

I had a Dressage rider on my boy and she made him do things that I didn't think he could ever do!!

She told me he could easily get to Advanced Medium competition standard.

I was absolutely delighted and then felt poo as I knew I wouldn't get there, Haven't got the time or money to do it.

I did wonder about offering him to her as she said "Let me have him"?

Then I thought about it some more and,,,,,guess what?,,,,he couldn't give a stuff if he never went in an arena ever again!!
smile.gif

If you enjoy your horse and your horse enjoys you. Who cares if someone else thinks he/she is wasted?
grin.gif

But, yeah, it does make you wonder,,,
tongue.gif
crazy.gif

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
What if...he gave this special feeling to your instructor because of all the work you have had already put in him...and since you do seem to care how you ride (since you posted what you did) it might be that one day you will ride him even better:) All the best:)

barkinghorse

Visit site
Oh yes!!
I love watching my instructor ride Will, he moves beautifully for her and her legs and hands never seem to move. He looks like a big warmblood, not a TB, he's so together. She said he is rude and pig headed but quite a special horse
On the down side, it makes me feel very inadequate, as I seem to need more leg and can't get him to float the same. I often wonder about geting a rider for him as i couldn't possibly sell him.
Jo

GTs

Visit site
The reality is there will always be someone better than you and that can do more with your horse - but if your horse is behaving, you are having fun, and do not feel out of your depth I say keep enjoying - that is what you bought your horse for.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I once heard someone say...

'no horse has ever leaned sadly over the field gate thinking 'Oh I wish I could be an advanced eventer instead of just going hacking everyday'.

I think you should just do with your horse exactly what you want to do and feel happy that he has the ability to take you just as far as you want.
grin.gif
grin.gif
Ignore anyone who insinuates he is 'wasted' with you. That is rubbish IMHO.

kirstyfk

Visit site
To be honest any horse is capable of going to at least elementary if not medium with the right training. Just keeping telling yourself that you are so lucky to have such a wonderful horse and enjoy him.