Has anyone had bad sharer experiences?

scrumpygus

Visit site
I just wondered if anyone else has had to 'let go' of their sharers after they discovered they werent treating their horses as they expected they would?

Koda

Visit site
I have had a bad sharer experience but not related to treating the horse a certain way (was consistently weeks late paying livery). What sort of treatment are we talking about? Would you be comfortable giving a bit more detail?

Angua2

Visit site
Yep..... I had to let one go after my horse reared with her in a lesson. I found out from everyone at my livery yard what had occured but not my sharer. it was only 3 days later, when pushed did she admit that this had happened. Another was a liability to not only the horse but herself too..... I asked her to stop riding after what turned out to be the 3rd crashing fall..... apparently there were more that I didn't know about.

scrumpygus

Visit site
Well i found out she had lets say wound her up with a whip to get her to gallop round the country park - then when horse was lame the next day she didnt own up i found out from someone else - now i have ended everything im left being made to feel guilty?

_daisy_

Visit site
yes sure did although mine was more of a loan. My pony went lame (never had a days illness in all the years id had her till i loaned her to them) I couldnt work out why she was lame and neither could the vet. I found out what they were doing to my pony when I was approached by other liveries who had seen them out and about on her. Ended up being a very nasty situation when I ended it and unfortunately a severly damaged pony who ended up being PTS.

nellieelephantxx

Visit site
SandG
I wouldn't feel guilty it sounds like you have just cause to be miffed! Have known of sharers badmouthing the way owners care for the horse, but not anything detrimental to horses health.

Angua
You let a sharer go because the horse reared in a lesson?

Koda

Visit site
Why on earth would you feel guilty? To my mind you did the right things in ending it. You are entittled to decide what behaviour you'll accept and what you won't. Your horse, your rules.
Let yourself off the hook, the horse is way better off without someone smacking it about the place.

Angua2

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Angua
You let a sharer go because the horse reared in a lesson?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep..... it was her actions that had lead to my non rearing horse rearing, her lack of communication made her a liability....... and it was the best decision I ever made

kylie88

Visit site
Yep I have, she wasnt capable of ridding him he started messing around because he could get away with. He had never put a foot wrong with me and then when he thought he could try it on with me, i stopped it there and then. i wasnt prepared for someone else to ruin my horse.

Ziggy_

Visit site
Yes, I have done.

My mare has arthritis (bone spavin) and as such I am very careful to minimise the amount of work she does on hard ground in the summer. Unfortunately on my last yard I was the only one who gave a stuff about my horses legs, everyone else owned cob types that they would bomb about all over the place. At first my sharer really listened to me and did as I asked but gradually the others on the yard got to her and she spent more and more time bombing around.

The crunch came when one day as I left work, I recieved a text to say she was at the yard about to do some schooling - I had requested she spent more time in the school and less charging about hacking. As I drove home from work, I saw her ahead in the distance - just turning off the road onto the bridlepath we use for galloping. Lo and behold, minutes later I see her charging along it. The next day my mare's leg was hot and swollen and that was the end of our share arrangement.

PrettyPiaffe

Visit site
Yes she jumped my horse ever day of the week after being told to jump him no more than twice a week, and she knew she was in the wrong as she lied to me and said she had been doing flatwork with him. I only discovered she was over jumping him when i saw videos she posted on the internet. She was a horrendous rider anyway and i only let her share as i was in a bit of a pickle.

Faro

Visit site
Yes I have. Many years ago I got a sharer for my rather hot headed, but snaffle mouthed Anglo Arab mare (still got the mare, though she's now long retired.)

This mare was on a completely hi fibre diet, hay, grass and high fibre nuts only, as she had so much speed, energy and fizzines. However I found out from others on the yard I was at at the time that the sharer had been caught stealing oats from other people's feed bins and feeding them to my mare.

So as if her changing the diet (for something totally unsuitable) without my say so wasn't bad enough - stealing was far, far worse.

I know there can be some good sharers out there - but personally, although I've stuggled both timewise and financially with my 5 horses, I've been put off having another sharer for life.

cavalo branco

Visit site
After my experience with a sharer recently, I will never have a sharer again!!
What started as a great arrangement with her doing my stable work in returning for riding changed into me having to pay her petrol to ride and her doing nothing to help. I was desperate because I have been having treatment for a serious illness. She then agreed to ride for someone else on my yard instead because she was being paid more and went back on her promise to help me.

To be honest, I was a complete mug getting into that situation! No way will I ever pay someone to ride my horse unless they are a professional
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Kat

Visit site
Your experiences sound horrible, but please don't tarr all sharers with the same brush. There are good sharers and potential sharers out there - including a lot on this site.

Just like there are good and bad owners, livery yards, dealers etc. I've every sympathy with people who have had a bad experience but feel sorry for the potential sharers who might miss out because of a few peoples irresponsible and dishonest behaviour.

rascal

Visit site
Yes, i told one to get lost last year, the mother was self taught and thinks she knows everything, the daughter who was riding our 12.2 was getting too big anyway, but she was still jumping every day on a pony in his early 20s it was too much for him. The mother STILL hasnt returned all our tack, she only once paid the £50 per month for his rent, repeatedly left our other horses in the stables while they went for long rides/picknic with no food/water/bedding sometimes for 5/6 hours! She also used to leave her dog in the car when i wouldnt have left mine as i thought it was too hot. She used a door out of the barn that was partly glass to make a ramp up to the muck heap and then stole our three yard cats when i got fed up and told her to leave!!!