Has anyone here bred a mule?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I haven't bred one, but I do have one. He is a "miracle baby" who just appeared in the farmer's field one day (the mare was never knowingly covered, so dad must have snuck up in the night and been gone before morning....). Mum was a Connemara pony, dad a donkey Don Juan.

He's a cheeky little git, but he does make me laugh. Fortunately for him.Rufus.jpg

Visit site
I haven't bred one, but I do have one. He is a "miracle baby" who just appeared in the farmer's field one day (the mare was never knowingly covered, so dad must have snuck up in the night and been gone before morning....). Mum was a Connemara pony, dad a donkey Don Juan.

He's a cheeky little git, but he does make me laugh. Fortunately for him.View attachment 26269
*squeals* what do you use him for? Just reenactment stuff? (That's what you do if I remember correctly?)
I've seen two spotted mules for sale recently too....
*slaps wrist* but must not lol.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
*squeals* what do you use him for? Just reenactment stuff? (That's what you do if I remember correctly?)
I've seen two spotted mules for sale recently too....
*slaps wrist* but must not lol.

Yes, he is trained to pull a cannon, which he takes very seriously (although he did go through a "I'm just going to lie down here now" phase). We don't do re-enactments, but he has appeared in a few historical demonstrations and some film work. He works about once a year :)

Unfortunately he's not very friendly having been roughly handled before we got him, and really hates being touched. He will graciously accept the odd carrot.

TheMule

Visit site
I didn't breed mine, I bought her aged 5 weeks as she was an unwanted BOGOF from a Spanish import and I needed a companion for my homebred horse foal.
She's a marvellous character and should make around 15.2. I have looked into breeding a mule, it's possible to get mammoth donkey semen from the US, I couldnt find one of decent size in the UK

Attachments

• IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 68

TheMule

Visit site
Gorgeous :) I have seen some truly beautiful mules in Spain.

They have the giant andalusian donkeys which can certainly make a useful mule. Mine is a total poppet, although she's a very determined character and I think she'll be a bit of trouble when it comes to her idea vs mine under saddle!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
They have the giant andalusian donkeys which can certainly make a useful mule. Mine is a total poppet, although she's a very determined character and I think she'll be a bit of trouble when it comes to her idea vs mine under saddle!

Well, they are fine if you remember they're most definitely NOT horses! Rufus takes a lot longer to figure out if something's OK, once you've convinced him it is, he's got it for life. Also much spookier and fearful than a horse, but he's a frightened little chap anyway; hopefully yours will be more trusting.

TheMule

Visit site
Well, they are fine if you remember they're most definitely NOT horses! Rufus takes a lot longer to figure out if something's OK, once you've convinced him it is, he's got it for life. Also much spookier and fearful than a horse, but he's a frightened little chap anyway; hopefully yours will be more trusting.

I'm hoping that because she's been here from nearly the beginning she will be ok, but she does take things to heart. She's bold as brass and very independent. It is going to be a totally new experience for me but that's why I wanted a mule not another horse

Nasicus

Visit site
I do love a good mule! I think it's the ears haha! I know someone in the US who has a Haflinger Mule, I am smitten!

Clodagh

Visit site
We had an advert filmed here years ago and they used a mule, but it was a bucking mule and actually she was just terrified, I didn't like it. The stunt man had some moves though.
Cortez, yours is very handsome.
I think they get quite a few in the New Forest every year?

Leo Walker

Visit site
I do love a good mule! I think it's the ears haha! I know someone in the US who has a Haflinger Mule, I am smitten!

Oh I NEED one of those!!

391061-500x291.jpg

A friend of a friend has a mule. I've been up a couple of times to help them with her as she is super bright and terrorises anyone she can smell weakness in. I love her. I find her so easy to work with and so quick to learn. She has the most amazing ears!