Has anyone made horse poo bricks?

Mare Stare

Visit site
Just wondering.

I saw an article a few years ago that was discussing how to make bricks from poo that you can burn on a fire. Apparently, they don't smell because the methane burns away.

You can use the brick maker things they use to make paper logs. From what I remember you have to leave the bricks a few days so that they dry out.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried them. They must be cost effective.

Edit - Proof that I didn't just dream this up!! -
http://www.equinecompare.co.uk/docs/BurnHorseManure/

debsg

Visit site
Well that's something constructive you can do with a load of old ****! :D Unfortunately. I don't have a real fire to burn them on! Good idea though - would love to do it when my evil stepmother comes to visit :D :D

JessandCharlie

Visit site
We tried, it didn't really work tbh :( it took forever to dry, even in our boiler room/cellar, which is roasting! Didn't burn brilliantly, and fell apart making them really hard to move. Didn't smell though! :D

J&C

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I'm making paper bricks, did some yesterday but this time of year it takes SO long to dry them out.If you can make them with poo or otherwise, in the summer and store them then it could be worth a try?
Maybe a bit of paper and poo to bind it all together to stop it falling apart might work?
Oz :)

Yertis

Visit site
Yes!! the trick is not to have much bedding in it, we use the field poo, mix water into the poo in a wheel barrow or similar, stir well to thick mud consistency, put into brick maker, lay on wire rack for a few days for initial drying, stack with gaps of about 2" in between and forget them for 6 months. Will end up quite light when dried out but shouldn't break apart, 2 will usually keep our small woodburner going overnight, calorific value is only a bit lower than wood.