Has anyone sold a horse to the continent? Advice needed

showley1

Visit site
Hi has anyone on here sold a horses to the continent with payment done by bank transfer? Or anyone who knows anything about banking?? A gent who lives in holland wants to purchase a filly I have for sale, he has seen videos and plenty of photos, he is arranging transport etc, my question concerns payment, can he recall it once he has sent to my account?? Any advice be helpful thanks

popsdosh

Visit site
No he cant but you really need to check with your bank as he will need the IBAN number for the account. I would make sure you have the money before the health papers are done.

showley1

Visit site
Thanks I have checked with the bank who weren't very helpful to be honest , just saying any payment can be recalled... but online advice seems to differ.... I certainly won't be letting her leave my yard until payment in full is received, I have never dealt with anything like this and make's me a little Un easy as I don't know the protocol, he has asked for iban no and Bic code which I have sent, he has provided details from people in this country he has purchased from in the past who have all given glowing reviews , I guess it the fear of the unknown.

SpringArising

Visit site
AFAIK chargebacks can only be done for companies. My sister has spoken with the bank (Lloyds) about this before - she accidentally sent a payment to the wrong person and they said that she basically has 0 chance of getting the money back. I don't think you can just recall payments you've made.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was paid £7500 by bank transfer for a horse which shipped to Spain with no issues. I was told it couldn't be withdrawn once it was cleared funds.

alainax

Visit site
I used to work in a bank, and unless it has changed then bank transfers cannot be recalled. The only way they get it back is if it went to a fraudsters account and that bank seized the account before it was transferred on again. (i.e. You were the frausdster).

Make sure it's a proper bank transfer, and not PayPal, money order, western union etc. If he had asked for Iban and bic it sounds legit.

showley1

Visit site
Thank you, lady at the call centre for my bank was really un helpful, I am just a little worried about ending up without my horse or the money, but sure people do sell like this all the time?

popsdosh

Visit site
Thank you, lady at the call centre for my bank was really un helpful, I am just a little worried about ending up without my horse or the money, but sure people do sell like this all the time?

Do you know what transporter hes using? As they help you feel less nervous if they have done a few. Is it really any different to dealing with somebody in this country. When I buy from spain I have never had an issue and they usually have the money in a few minutes. The problem is with call centre staff they are not always up to speed especially with unusual scenarios.

Irish gal

Visit site
You've been given totally wrong info by the bank. I sell abroad and am paid by bank transfer and once the money is in your account it's yours, the guy can't just electronically reach in there and get it out again.

To put your mind at rest when you see it in the bank you can go in and physically withdraw it before you put the horse on the transporter. Make it clear there will be no horse leaving the yard til you see the money in the account. In fact tell him to wait til you have money to send the transporter. Loads of horses are sold this way, there's nothing to worry about with bank transfer.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I've sold 2 ponies one to Sweden and one to Germany the first time I really thought it was a scam as it was unseen too!!
Bank reassured me once money was transferred that was it it was mine!! The first time I gave my empty savings account numbers and then moved out as soon as I arrived so they couldn't steal it back!!
But all was fine I'm still in contact with both over Facebook which is lovely!
Much easier sales abroad than the English people I have to say!!

showley1

Visit site
I don't know the transporter no as he is based 4 hours away from myself, the buyer does always use the same transporter though who also has his own stud, the contacts I have been given who he has previously bought ponies from all report a very pleasant person and hassle free sale, who have all kept in touch with ponies they have sold, all ponies also being the same breed as mine, 1 being a stud who said she had sold said gent 4 ponies and would happily deal with buyer on a weekly basis, thank you everyone you have all made me feel much happier

ossy

Visit site
Slight hijack sorry but answer may put your mind at rest further. But how do these horse selling scams work? You know the ones that ask for your best price will transfer money for horse and transport costs to you with you to give transport money on to who comes to transport it, the money looks likes it clears in your account but then later disappears so your left without horse, money for horse and amount given out to transporter?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OP, a BACS/ CHAPS transfer to your account cannot be recalled.
A cheque once cashed into your account cannot (usually!) be cancelled once it has cleared.

However (for anyone else info) a Paypal or credit card payment CAN be recalled / refunded to the purchaser.

Overseas sales are always best done only via BACS or CHAPS :)

Ref the transport question from another, you NEVER sort the transport out yourself, but you let the purchaser arrange and pay for this - direct to the transport company (unless you sell regularly to the purchaser).
Always best to give reliable transport companies details to purchasers so they can arrange it.

Last edited:

showley1

Visit site
Thank you everyone, payment has been sent through chaps this morning, have seen photos of the sent page so hopefully all will go through successfully ☺

Edgehog

Visit site
Slight hijack sorry but answer may put your mind at rest further. But how do these horse selling scams work? You know the ones that ask for your best price will transfer money for horse and transport costs to you with you to give transport money on to who comes to transport it, the money looks likes it clears in your account but then later disappears so your left without horse, money for horse and amount given out to transporter?

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/overpayment-scam.html

zoelouisem

Visit site
Thank you everyone, payment has been sent through chaps this morning, have seen photos of the sent page so hopefully all will go through successfully ☺

Don't be surprised if it takes a few working days to clear mine did!! But they did come through. But I made it very clear the pony wasn't leaving until money cleared.

sywell

Visit site
Make sure you have a passport that complies with EU regulations either 2008/504 0r EU262 2016 the last one is law in Europe but not enforceable in UK.