Has anyone sold a horsebox on ebay?

Woody50

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has sold their lorry using ebay? I need to sell my old box and just wondering if its worth putting on ebay or will the fees be too much?

spacefaer

Visit site
I've sold a car. You'll get a lot of tyre kickers and very low offers for a cash deal.
If you can put up with that, and some very stupid questions, then it's worth a go.
Lots of photos and don't forget to put the payload!

SpottyMare

Visit site
I sold my trailer (eventually). You get a lot of idiots, and a lot of people not turning up. I spent an hour with one person only for her to ring up and say she really loved it, but couldn't afford it so would I take £2k less than the asking price, and multiple messages from people offering 50 to 80% less than the asking price... I actually sent one joker a link to a trailer that was in her price range.

The fees are a lot - I think the percentage selling charge is capped at £500 plus your listing fee, which I think is excessive. You might get away with a classified as it's a lorry though, which would mean you wouldn't get that fee.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes, they paid about 2/3 of the real value, but paid before seeing, turned up on time, were delighted and excitedly drove it away.

They did get a bargain, but we also got rid. It was a 12.5 tonne, so maybe not so easy to sell locally.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Yes, incredibly easy sale, much better than Facebook and we've also used ebay to sell 2 cars with little fuss (both went overseas - one to be a taxi in Nigeria and the Saab went back to Sweden). Yes, we did get paid for both, we were skeptical about the Nigerian taxi thing but apparently that make of car made up most of the Lagos taxis.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Do you have many tack shops, feed places around? If yes I'd be tempted to put an ad up there. No cost or a donation usually. Local people so they'll, probably, have more faith in the lorry's condition.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Sold a couple of trailers on ebay. One guy wanted to pay a deposit & take the trailer to see if his horse would go in and then pay me the balance. i told him of course he could, the deposit figure was the full asking price & if he returned it I would repay him the deposit less £150 for hire of! Needless to say I didn't hear any more form him

gingergreg

Visit site
I’m having a bit of a nightmare with them actually, had my 3.5t lorry advertised on there as well as the other usual places, fb/Preloved etc. Ended up selling it to a friend of a friend and eBay are trying to charge me a fee for selling it ‘through them’ 🥴 I had one person come out to view it who’d made contact via eBay but she was a complete time waster and it went nowhere. I’ve disputed it but they’re having none of it. I’m not shelling out £250 for nothing, such a pain.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I looked everywhere for a stick sided horsebox to replace the one I was selling. I found a 'Tristar' 7.5 ton, aluminium body on a MAN chassis with a 180hp engine on ebay. I asked a few questions & was satisfied with the answers. It had been posted on Ebay twice, first time £12,500 & second time £11,500 & it then disappeared off the web. I telephoned & found it was still for sale & that a person had put in a bid of £10,500 & he'd accepted it but the buyer had gone on holiday & left no deposit. I asked if I bettered the offer could I buy it. He said yest so I went to Hereford to take a look. It was as described, had all the power I needed & a payload that I could carry 3 horses if needed & still be in weight. I offered him £10,600 & bought it. That was 3 years ago & it's still going strong, flies through testing & I'm still pleased with it.

The lorry I wanted to replace was a Tristar on a DAF 130hp chassis, again good payload& nice living but a bit older & I thought it under powered. I took plenty of photos, wrote a comprehensive honest advert & priced is fairly to sell. It was viewed & purchased in 24 hours off Facebook. With the calls I had I could have sold it several times over.

There is a lot of rubbish for sale on Ebay & Facebook but there are good lorries as well. Take your time, do some research & you can find good vehicles at good prices.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I’ve sold a car through Ebay this year and I must admit it went really well. I used a Classified ad which was a fixed price of I think £19.99. We had one viewing and she bought it for cash for full price and she came and Collected it the next day once the transfers were complete. I was really pleased as I was expecting all sorts of problems but it was very good.

conniegirl

Visit site
Haven't sold but did buy a horsebox through ebay.
It was about 15 years ago though, but it was very easy, we talked to seller, got all the MOT information etc, bid on it, won it, went and paid with cash and brought it home. It was a started lorry that we kept for a year and then sold to a ponyclub home for double what we paid for it.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
bought one through eBay, advertised one but didnt successfully sell it-apparently most of the population in England looking for a lorry either lack google skills or don't even know where Scotland is so gave up and kept it.