Has anyone towed with BMW 320i

mundaya

New User
Visit site
Has anyone towed with a BMW 320i 2l
M Sport? I would only ever be towing one horse (weighing approx 550kg) in an ifor William 505 trailer. I believe towing capacity for the BMW is 1,600kg so horse, trailer and kit should all be under this. Any input welcome. Tia.

Visit site
Well, your 505 if it is standard spec weighs about 905kgs, with just your horse, your weight is up to 1,455kgs and that is without hay, water, tack and any fluctuations in horses weight (weight tapes obviously arent accurate.

For me, it would be way to close, I wouldnt want to tow right up to capacity.

What you have to also consider is that your BMW is also a sports model so if i'm right it will be lower than most cars, meaning your tow ball will be very low and tipping the horsebox down onto the tow hitch.

I think you'll find it will really struggle on hills too.

ROG

Visit site
As said - very close to full tow max which is ok if not driving on challenging roads
Needs B+E licence if trailer is still at original plated MAM

mundaya

New User
Visit site
Well, your 505 if it is standard spec weighs about 905kgs, with just your horse, your weight is up to 1,455kgs and that is without hay, water, tack and any fluctuations in horses weight (weight tapes obviously arent accurate.

For me, it would be way to close, I wouldnt want to tow right up to capacity.

What you have to also consider is that your BMW is also a sports model so if i'm right it will be lower than most cars, meaning your tow ball will be very low and tipping the horsebox down onto the tow hitch.

I think you'll find it will really struggle on hills too.

Thank you for your advice! We have another car to tow with so this is just another one to use when that car isn’t around to run to local shows/training etc. We were considering a BMW X1 1.5 as an alternative and this has 1700kg towing capacity. What doesn’t make sense in my head is the 3series has a bigger engine and higher bhp, but is 100kg lower in towing capacity in comparison to the X1?
This is if I have got the towing capacity correct for the 3series...

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Usually a X1 diesel is suitable. Even a 320D wagon can tow 1 smaller horse in a light 2 horse bumper pull. That I've done and it was quite ok. Wouldn't want to put two horses behind it, though.

I really don't like to get as close as possible to tow ratings. I rather "too much vehicle" personally.

mundaya

New User
Visit site
Was your 320D an estate or saloon? Not sure if the shape has much effect? It would only ever be one small horse, just for when our other car isn’t around.

phizz4

Visit site
Is it a diesel or a petrol? Petrol engines have their highest torque, what you need for towing, at much higher revs than a diesel, so you have to rev it a lot to get moving. Diesels pull better from low revs. Is it an automatic, they can have a lower towing capacity?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you so much for your advice. What is your reasoning for not towing with it?

I just don't think they are made to tow as someone else mentioned they are lower to the ground which is not ideal, and they just drive like a sports car and I just can't get my head round them being a tow option, plus my oh would kill me if I wanted to tow with one of his precious sports cars lol:p