Has anyone used liverpool cream for sarcoids?

Blizzard

Visit site
I had the vet out today to do my horse's teeth, and also had her look at the sarcoid he has on his chest, it just looks like a wart.
He has come in a few times with it bleeding from playing with the sheltand and of course its unsightly, so I want it removed.

I wasnt keen to go down the Liverpool route because Ive heard it can be painful for the horse and quite expensive, but the vet said because he only has the one, and because of the position and the shape, it should only take about 3-4 applications for it to be gone.

I asked her how much it was and she said its £40 for the cream and £10-£15 for the application, does that sound about right?

I always thought going down the liverpool route was extremely expensive, talking the £1000 mark and above?

Marnie

Visit site
I've used it as a horse I had had about 15 sarcoids on his sheath. It cost me a bit more than you have been quoted because he had to be sedated for each application - he was 17.3hh and didn't appreciate being messed with - apart from the fact that the sarcoids did get a bit sore as the treatment progressed. It was well worth it though, they all disappeared and had not reoccurred when he was sold around 2 years later.

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've used it as a horse I had had about 15 sarcoids on his sheath. It cost me a bit more than you have been quoted because he had to be sedated for each application - he was 17.3hh and didn't appreciate being messed with - apart from the fact that the sarcoids did get a bit sore as the treatment progressed. It was well worth it though, they all disappeared and had not reoccurred when he was sold around 2 years later.

[/ QUOTE ]

My boy is 17.3hh too.

He is a star for everything, today was the first time he had his teeth done and he was brill, however when I had a different vet out a few weeks ago he REALLY pulled at his sarcoid, prodding it and stuff, and it was sore at the time, so Beau kept trying to bite him.
So now when any stranger goes near it he does try and bite them, he is not a nasty horse though but he does paw out as if to say get way.

He is fine with me touching it but of course I cant apply the cream.

Here are some pics of the sarcoid, it isnt a 'nasty' one, but is on his chest area:

sarcoid2.jpg

sarcoid1.jpg

mickey

Visit site
I used this on a 'sarcoid' on my horse's leg. I put it in quotes because the vets always thought it was a sarcoid. However when they biopsied it it came back negative for sarcoid.
They treated this lump with the Liverpool cream and it went away but came back some months later unfortunately.
The costings you quote were about what I paid. I don't think he had more than 3 treatments though.

zizz

Visit site
worked for zizz he had one on each front leg about the size or a 10p. didn't pay for applications though, the vet said to do it ourselves could you not ask yours if you could do it its not that difficult depending on the placement.
We also had him on a herbal supplement for 6 months afterwards. that was two years ago and no sign of any more touch wood.

jules9671

j666jwd.bebo.com
my one has several but one on his stifle and we used the cream and it seemed to be working, but with him rolling i think he rolled the effect of the cream off,and now it seems to be getting bigger, so i will have to look into any other treatments

Blizzard

Visit site
The vet said she must apply it, I wish I could do it becuse he will only let me touch it, he tries to eat any stranger who goes near it, and I dont want him going through the ordeal of being sedated too.

jules9671

j666jwd.bebo.com
the vet had to do his,amd my boy hates vets i did think he may need sedated but i just had his bridle on and lots of feed in my hand and polos which he does not normally get so he was more interested in the treats, it takes seconds to put the cream on.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Your vet was out of order it is only supplied to vets that make sure they apply it as it is so toxic.If liverpool knew of this they would not supply it again to them.There is good reasons for such stipulations

TURBOBERT

Visit site
Had one treated very successfully about 12 years ago - it was new then. Horse had to go into vets on livery as cream said to be very toxic and needed to be applied by a vet. V expensive but horse insured thankfully - all but the livery costs that is! Still have the horse - no recurrance .

mickey

Visit site
My understanding is that only vets apply this cream. That is not just for your horse's safety. If you get this cream on your skin you are in trouble (it is cytotoxic).

glenruby

Visit site
Yeah, vets only are allowed to use this cream. Your vet was out of order supplying it to you for you to apply yourself.
Just had a lecture with Dr Knottenbelt on the subject of sarcoids (and boy is he passionate about them!). He explained the ins and outs of different treatments including the cream. The cream works on many sarcoids but unfortunately its still impossible to tell if the sarcoid will be susecptible to the cream without trying it. As he said, if he could tell that, life would be so much easier!

Lotty

Visit site
A livery's horse had a horrible sarcoid right on the girth area and last year she tried Global Herbs and it worked.

sevenoceans

Visit site
My horse starting his liverpool cream treatment today, The vet says he had to do it. Lucky he's quite close and including the cream it probably totalling £300 which i has to pay for cos he's not insured, Hopefully he won't need sedation, as he's very placid horse (TB that is!!!) He has to have the cream 4 times at 48 hours inteveral.

Pidge

Visit site
sis has got the cream from liverpool at a cost of £70 for the cream and then the cost of the vets visits on top of that! sunny is in the process of having his treated at the moment - small one on his hindquarters.

dieseldog

Visit site
Our horse was one of the very first horses ever to have 'Liverpool Cream' - quite a few years ago - and back then it didn't really work, but at least its got better since then

Magpie

New User
Visit site
My horse had a sarcoid above his eye a few years a go and the liverpool cream was used on it. He had two different types of sarcoid and the cream was for the top layer then he was going into leahurst to have an operation to remove the second part of it but while we were on the waiting list it went! Was so relieved! Cant remember how much the cream cost us though sorry.