Has someone else been riding my horse….?

Cob Life

Visit site
Got on to ride tonight and for some reason Blue felt like a different horse! He was on the bit nicely(a rare occasio) and it was from the start of our session too (which never happens). She worked nicely From behind and was really swinging under with his hind legs more.

It literally felt like someone else has been schooling him without my knowledge! He clearly feels good from his weekend off.

Do you ever have this feeling? Where suddenly something changes and you’re a a bit like ”well who taught my horse to do THAT” (cause I’m not sure it was me!)

He did then walk back onto the yard and spook at the cat he’s lived with for 6 years a day his rug because it was on the floor (not that he was the one that out it there or anything ?)

Cob Life

Visit site
Never happened me but it sounds good :D
Until I started riding him he’d never been asked to come on the bit and work properly and since he and lots of time off this summer for various reasons I’ve slowly been building his fitness back up and I was just so happy with this yesterday, usually when he’s coming back into work he really fights and argues about going forward and working properly from behind.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Sounds great. If that same mystery wants to do work with mine feel free...

I got a lovely extended trot out of my horse once although it was when we went up the long driveway to a new yard for competing and she spied horses in the distance.

Cob Life

Visit site
Sounds great. If that same mystery wants to do work with mine feel free...

I got a lovely extended trot out of my horse once although it was when we went up the long driveway to a new yard for competing and she spied horses in the distance.
It’s taken 3 years and more frustrating rides than I can count, so don’t lose hope!
the first time I managed to get him to do any sort of leg yield was because the cat was on the fence and he’s really scared of the cats so was more than happy to move away from it!

Cob Life

Visit site
Being a bit chilly helps as they tend to be more forward naturally :p:D
when hes chilly he tends to act like more of a tw*t than normal ? forwardness hasn’t really been our issue, the biggest issue was he’d never learnt to soften on the bit so we just lost all the forward momentum straight out the front instead of capturing it

Lois Lame

Visit site
Got on to ride tonight and for some reason Blue felt like a different horse! He was on the bit nicely(a rare occasio) and it was from the start of our session too (which never happens). She worked nicely From behind and was really swinging under with his hind legs more.

It literally felt like someone else has been schooling him without my knowledge! He clearly feels good from his weekend off.

Do you ever have this feeling? Where suddenly something changes and you’re a a bit like ”well who taught my horse to do THAT” (cause I’m not sure it was me!)

He did then walk back onto the yard and spook at the cat he’s lived with for 6 years a day his rug because it was on the floor (not that he was the one that out it there or anything ?)

Ah, that's good, it was a change for the better, not the worse.

I know when riding my mare who was kept at the time with my instructor, some days were just better than others. Actually, one rare occasion when I rocked up, she was standing in the sun in front of the stables, resting a hind leg and snoozing. The instructor had given her a rare treat -- a bit of time out of the stables and yards. (I was in the good books at the time. Usually he only let his own horse, his girlfriends horse or his stablehand's horse out.)

That day I had the most wonderful lesson. My mare was relaxed, I was relaxed and it was wonderful. Very rare.

Cob Life

Visit site
Ah, that's good, it was a change for the better, not the worse.

I know when riding my mare who was kept at the time with my instructor, some days were just better than others. Actually, one rare occasion when I rocked up, she was standing in the sun in front of the stables, resting a hind leg and snoozing. The instructor had given her a rare treat -- a bit of time out of the stables and yards. (I was in the good books at the time. Usually he only let his own horse, his girlfriends horse or his stablehand's horse out.)

That day I had the most wonderful lesson. My mare was relaxed, I was relaxed and it was wonderful. Very rare.
Hes been pretty wound up coming in and being tacked up as hes expecting to go to bed like his friends but leaving him out on his own a little longer with me while I poo pick seems to have helped this!

He’s like a different horse at the moment, he’s still hard work but we’re really making progress, and changing his bit last week it is literally like a different horse.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

I know someone who put a horse hair attached from the stirrup iron to the D ring to see if they were schooling her horse which is included in her livery. 3 days later the hair was still attached when she asked staff they said yes he had two schooling sessions. She then told her what she did and they had to admit they had not. Might work for you might not.

Cob Life

Visit site
I know someone who put a horse hair attached from the stirrup iron to the D ring to see if they were schooling her horse which is included in her livery. 3 days later the hair was still attached when she asked staff they said yes he had two schooling sessions. She then told her what she did and they had to admit they had not. Might work for you might not.
I don’t actually think he’s been ridden by anyone else as it’s only me and his owner (who doesn’t ride) on the yard!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes, I have had this. I make sure to thank the horse for his new found skill and show him that the new way is nice. I have seen some people grab the improvement and drill the horse, losing it again!

I have also found, when I was training intensive training courses, that we could be working on something the new student didn't get, and we were getting frustrated (student, horse and me!) so we would leave it and... next day, it would be there, full installed!

Don't knock it!

Cob Life

Visit site
I have also found, when I was training intensive training courses, that we could be working on something the new student didn't get, and we were getting frustrated (student, horse and me!) so we would leave it and... next day, it would be there, full installed!

Don't knock it!
This is literally happened with leg yielding left, I could never get him to go left very well or consistently and then suddenly one day I put the left leg on and we went sideways! and then we managed it in trot too! He is one who it takes a while for the penny to drop but once it does he doesn’t forget

Cob Life

Visit site
He’s still improving so seems to have not been a fluke! His trot work is coming along really nicely and he did some really lovely collection work yesterday and was really springy, we just need to work on keeping that spring with extensions and not flattening