has ur farrier ever said the feet are too short to put shoes on??

sherwood'

Visit site
My guy has jsut been up today and said the feet are too short ( he was out on hols and has worn them all down) and we would ahve to wait 2/3 weeks?? now this has never happened to me b4 and i really need shoes on to go to shows the next few weeks?

what do u reckon? shud i ring someone else?

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I have this problem every year when Pride comes in from grass; he is very hard on his hooves and I usuallly have to wait a week or so before he can be shod
confused.gif

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I suppose it just depends on the hoof growth! Sorry dont know what else to say
confused.gif

Pride only gets it behind because his hinds are removed when he is turned away, at first I thought it was the land that he was on but no matter where he goes, he always comes in the same. Nothing left behind. He used to wear C&W behind and he could never wear them until his 2nd round of shoeing but now he just has studholes and for some reason its not as bad; farrier will put flats on him but I usually wait a week or so;

Farriers always says that he is very hard on his feet and they are white which doesnt help!!

mollymurphy

Visit site
Yep, Our farrier said Dolls were too short and there was nothing to put the nails to without crippling her. So she was box rested for 2 weeks, then they were put on. Were still a bit short though, but she was ok. The farrier said it was due to the muddy fields (was a few months ago) - gravel and stuff in the mud wears them down apparently.
confused.gif

sherwood'

Visit site
shud i keep him in hsi stable then and not let him out during the day to the field> wud he be ok to ride in sand school?

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I suppose it just depends on the type of land around your area if its hilly & rugged I'd be inclined to limit his turnout a little; as for riding, I ride pride in the sand and while waiting for him to be shod and its never caused a problem
grin.gif

Hope you get sorted soon, it's so frustrating....

sherwood'

Visit site
thanks for ur help! ill ride awya then in school- suppose a week to get him ready fro show was a bit optimistic! Land now is flat but the out farm where he was was on side of mountain which maybe didnt help! i didnt think that sort of thing mattered!

Strange cause horse has good foot confortmaion- i have had horses with way worse flat feet and flaky feet and never had this b4- i just thougth farrier was being an a*se!!!!