Hat help please

Rana

Visit site
So having returned to riding after a 4 year break, I decided I needed a new hat, and toddled off to the tack shop.

I bought a Charles Owen skull cap, which is the same type I've worn for years. I bought the same size as my last one (should point out I'm an adult and haven't grown since I bought my last one!). I tried it on in the shop and it felt fine.

However, after an hours lesson, my head is SO painful. It feels like my head is about to explode - a huge band of pain exactly where the padding on the hat is.

So, is my hat too small, or is it the wrong shape for my head? Obviously I need a new one (best break it to OH gently
crazy.gif
). Any advice on what make to get? Tips on fitting the hat correctly? (tack shop seemed a bit useless and silly me thought I was experienced enough to do it myself)

happyhack

Visit site
I'd say its too small for you. the people in the tack shop should be trained to tell you whether or not your hat fits. ALso, another thing to take into consideration is how you were wearing your hair, for instance if you had it pulled back into a tigh ponytail, that might give you a headache?

Hannah140

Visit site
It may be worth trying again with your hat, as it does need to be a bit over-tight when bought, as once you sweat in it the padding will get thinner, giving your head a bit more room. If you buy one thats the correct tightness when bought, the chances are it will become too loose.

Obviously if its really painfull you wont beable to do this. Try rubbing the areas where it hurts with your thumbs and if this doesnt help then it does look like you will need to get a new on.

Rana

Visit site
Thanks both.

Hannah - I wondered about that too, whether I should leave it a while until the padding thins out a bit. But I think it might be just toooo painful.

I'll try it once more, if it still really hurts, I'm off shopping again
laugh.gif

Gorgeous George

Visit site
Have the staff in the shop been properly trained to fit hats? If not I would go elsewhere, when I got mine the staff spent a good 20mins finding me one to fit and I am really pleased with it. Hope you get it sorted out.

Rana

Visit site
Having worked in the shop 10 years ago, I would have to say not
crazy.gif

I think I will try somewhere else, although the owner of the tack shop in question tends to buy up smaller shops and then open them under her brand - so it's difficult to escape lol.