Hat Indecision (Karben, Air Rider, Do I stick with a Skull Cap?)

Bumblepony

Visit site
I always used to wear traditional velvet hats but when I needed to replace one a couple of years ago, I thought I'd go for a skull cap. It's a fairly basic one, the name of the brand escapes me now but it's called a junior (even though it's an adult size) jockey skull - one of the ones with a picture of a Thelwell pony inside if that helps, but it's up to the PAS 015 2011 standard. I mostly wear it to walk out in hand on the road so it's not been ridden in much, and thinking I could do with something a bit cooler and more comfortable for the summer I set out to look at vented hats. I really wanted one with a dial at the back so I could tweak it smaller if the hat got bigger as the padding squished down. I tried a Shires Karben Carmella; a beautiful hat, but the 53-55cm was too small and the 56-58cm fitted relatively well but on its smallest setting (so no further adjustment) and does move slightly from side to side. It also seems to gapes a bit at the back (behind the dial adjustment bit) and the straps which pass under one's ears seem too long but I've never had this style of hat before so I don't know if it's meant to be like that. I did wonder if as it seems to fit okay otherwise I could use some hat fitting tape or those 'anti rock block' things to improve the fit but not sure it's something I feel comfortable messing about with. The other issue (and probably more of an issue really) I am having with it is it feels so shallow compared to my skull cap; I know a lower profile one is more desirable so a lot of them seem to be like that these days, but I'm wondering if I kept it (still time to return it) I'd always be feeling not quite so safe in it as I would in a skull, it doesn't cover so far down my head. I know a skull cap probably seems overkill for walking out in hand but I will be doing more riding at some stage so would like to get one which will cover me for both.

So the question is, do I return the Karben hat, stick with my skull cap and cook my head in summer :D or try another vented one... I think it'd have to be the Gatehouse Air Rider Mk II as that's the only other vented one I've seen with a dial, so I'd be interested to hear if anyone had one of those, or indeed if anyone could suggest any vented skulls.

I know a solution would be to go to a shop, sadly nowhere near me has much of a selection of the ones I want to try in stock and the last time I went somewhere local to have one fitted I realised later that the hat was actually too big, so instead I'm going the route of mail order, YouTube videos abotu hat fitting and standing in front of the mirror wobbling it about on my head.

Sorry bit of a rambly post! But the indecision is driving me slightly mad

Mrs G

Visit site
Ive got the same hat as you (by the sounds of it) Bumblepony - Charles Owen Junior skull? Ive had 5/6 of these since I started riding again (went through a few when my boy was 5 - 7!) and every so often I look at getting something else, but I always come back to these! They fit my head shape, cover all the safety standards I need and are a very sensible price. In your situation I think Id stick to what you know fits for now - it could get very expensive and a faff getting them/returning them, and maybe you could arrange a day trip out further afield somewhere to a bigger shop and have a really thorough trying on session?!

little_critter

Visit site
I’ve recently bought a John Whitaker dial fit hat after having a skull cap for years.
The other dial fit ones I tried felt too shallow but the JW one feels good and secure and comfortable.
If you’re thinking about tape to fix the fit then it’s not a good enough fit. Try something else.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have an air rider, I had a mark 1 too. I seem prone to my head getting bigger in warm weather so the dial comes in handy. And it’s really light which makes a big difference especially for long hacks (also the Matt navy looks very nice, much smarter than the earlier version did)

Mum bought one too after trying mine and also loves it, even though we generally have different head shapes - she wears a champion and I’ve never been able to get them near me fit wise.
My best fitting hat is a gatehouse velvet that came free when purchasing a hs1 years ago, but the new hs1 doesn’t fit me (have a bespoke padded CO proII round as my current skull)

Fransurrey

Visit site
I used to have the Charles Owen Junior rider ones (with the Thelwell pony inside), but my head got fat!! I have a Gatehouse Chelsea Air Rider Pro now as it happens. I love it. It's secure, light and the dial doesn't catch my hair like others I tried. It also has the removable liner which is a godsend.

ponynutz

Visit site
I also have a Charles Owen Junior rider one and love it. Doesn't cook my head but does get very sweaty especially in summer. If I could afford it I would switch to something vented and lighter but would recommend having a proper try on at a tack shop!

abbijay

Visit site
Uvex do their Exxential hat that is vented, not unduly expensice and has a dial back.
What I would say though is don't buy an adjustable hat assuming that it will adjust to your head.
I had an Air Rider Mark II until my friend's 18hh shire sent me flying in it. The newest ones of the same model don't fit my head shape, I bought a Uvex Exxential now that fits brilliantly but tried the Karben and there wasn't a size that worked for me. Whatever hat you buy do make sure it is fitted to you by someone suitably trained.

sunleychops

Visit site
i have the Uvex exxential as my everyday hat and its great, keeps my head nice and cool but I do tend to use my HS1 for any XC and my Ayr8 for competing