Hat recommendations for BD please!

ace87

Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking to replace my hat and would like recommendations for something suitable for BD.. I am basically looking for a nicely fitting black velvet hat WITH 3 point harness. I do not want a beagler as having had two serious falls (one of which resulted in breaking my back) I am now pretty safety conscious!

So I'm aware that a harness won't look as neat as a beagler but I'm sure there's some of you out there who have nice smart dressage appropriate velvet hats with a harness (leather pls!) :) would love all recommendations - regardless of price! Only condition is it's not a ventair/GPA style hat as I really do prefer the classic velvet hats :)

Thanks in advance! :)

(ps. Reason I need a new one is I feel off in a dressage clinic! What a buffoon - who does that!!!!)

ironhorse

Visit site
Charles Owen HC2 I think it's called - their show hat. Absolutely gorgeous, very flattering and not THAT expensive compared to some of the GPAs

ace87

Visit site
Hi Ironhorse, I had a look and Charles and Own do a square show hat which is the H2000, is that the one you mean? It looks very neat and high profiled - rather like their beagler but with the harness. Thanks for the recommendation looks just what I'm after. I have been using a rubbishy old Just Togs one which is very mushroomy (lol) and a bit too SJ looking for me.

ThePony

Visit site
I have a charles owen showjumper - love it! Looks super smart and is v comfy. I did try their other leather harness velvet hats but some made my head look a v odd shape - the showjumper made me look nice and normal (I have a bit of a lollypop head thing going on so I try to hunt around for less mushroomy hats!).
I do wish that champion wouldn't use placy clips on their nice leather harnesses, it was for that reason that I discounted them all, the charles owen metal clip and popper looks so much smarter I think, though if I didn't have a charles owen shaped head then it would have been tough!! I did try a gatehouse one on too, but it was the strangest shape ever and didn't even fit on my head in a massive size! I don't think the velvet looked as nice quality as the charles owen one either.

ThePony

Visit site
you want the CO fiona hat, over the sj xp. (have both, navy in both and brown sj) fiona is a much nicer fit :)

...with the proviso that you have a nice normal head - the fiona looked terrible on me, I was gutted as I totally expected that would be the one I would buy as everyone raves about them!

ace87

Visit site
Thanks everyone, looks like I will be getting a C&O one! I already have two of their jockey skulls so hoping they fit! Will try the Fiona and the H2000 at the weekend!

I bought a Gatehouse velvet hat - 2 sizes bigger than I normally wear and for some reason I did actually follow the advice of wearing round the house for a bit to get used to it.. SOOO glad I did as after 30mins I felt like I was going to pass out! Stonking headache and my temples were SO tender after - i had to take it straight back and make do with a JT Junior SJ hat which is hideous :(

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
It really does come down to the shape of your head! CO don't fit me but gatehouse hats basically fit perfectly. CO hats are rounder whereas gatehouse are longer in lenght. Best thing is to try on loads and have a properly trained hat fitter (not just someone who knows a bit!) to work out what fits you well without headaches!

ace87

Visit site
Very true Santa! I'm lucky enough to have an excellent local saddlery who are properly trained and have fitted hats for me previously (inc my 2 CO skulls and my boyfriend who wears a whopping 63cm hat!!) will find out what they stock!