Hat testing ...

Cobalt

Visit site
... after a fall?

I came off my pony yesterday and fell quite hard on rutty ground. I've now noticed my riding hat has a scuff on it from the fall. Do you think I ought to get it tested before wearing it again (and can you)? The hat is not new, but not old either (a Gatehouse) and I would have thought lots more wear in it, but I seem to remember being told to get a new one after a fall.

Any thoughts?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am sorry to say that I would replace the hat. It would not matter if it were scuffed or not, if you fell on your head then the polystyrene will have been compressed, done it's job, but be used up in terms of protectiveness now.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There is no way to test it without deconstructing it, sometimes the manufacturers do want them back if you have had a specific fall so they can have a look but it will need replacing.

Kafairia

Visit site
There's a simple test you can do to see if it's cracked I believe, and that's applying pressure on the sides of the helmet (where your ears would be level with) and if you hear a cracking it's definitely not going to be any good. I would take this with a pinch of salt though.

I think really you should be treating yourself to a new one. If it's coming up near 2 years old that's when it should be replaced anyway if my memory is correct. :) I do every 2 years anyway.

Kaylum

Visit site
I am sorry to say that I would replace the hat. It would not matter if it were scuffed or not, if you fell on your head then the polystyrene will have been compressed, done it's job, but be used up in terms of protectiveness now.

Very much agree with this. Its to spread the impact, something cyclists do not understand either. Its not if its cracked its if it has spread the impact.

LiffWee93

Visit site
the only way to "test" a hat is to physically cut it open to view the internals - (un)fortunately, they are one time use only - if they drop or fall, the air will be squashed out of the polystyrene that is the protection in the hat, meaning that it will no longer be able to do its job again. This must occur for the skull to be cushioned in an incident - similar to a seatbelt having some give, to prevent ricochet damage and further injury :) a new hat is definitely required, even if there is no detectable damage on the outside! plastic tends to bounce back to its original shape (for the most part), polystyrene does not :)