hatcam hacking

coss

Visit site
For my christmas i was given a hatcam. Its a fair size because its a good camera rather than the thumbnail tiny lightweight ones. but for hacking you get used to it being there.

Do any of you wear them out on the roads?
I was just thinking:
A) is there any safety issues having something like that strapped to your helmet (after all that's where its designed to go
B) with the lack of precaution some drivers take (saw a thread just now about someone who is meant to be getting penalised by the police but more than one rider and other witnesses), is it worth having one so that you have video evidence of any dangerous driving?

I know several years ago a white van overtook me at speed coming upto a blind bend so nipped in quickly infront of my horse nearly taking his head off (horse actually stopped abruptly and through his head up and back as he was so shocked) but couldn't catch the reg number as blind bend etc

opinions?

katie_southwest

Visit site
I'd love one so I could prove to people my pony really is a monkey sometimes !!! She looks Like butter wouldn't melt :) I'd imagine it felt strange having something on your head? People do it though so can't be that bad :)

jaysh

Visit site
I have one and I think it's great for recording any incidents that might happen on the road. Mine sits at the side of my hat and I can't tell it's there when it's on.

EstherYoung

Visit site
We have one but we only use it for filming organised rides, not our everyday hacking at home. The lithium batteries that you need for the best performance are quite expensive so we save them for special things.

Re safety issues, Kezza came off once because she was more bothered about 'saving hatcam' through some trees than she was in saving herself. So I guess that's just something to be aware of.

And yes we do look like tellytubbies with it on.

coss

Visit site
We have one but we only use it for filming organised rides, not our everyday hacking at home. The lithium batteries that you need for the best performance are quite expensive so we save them for special things.

Re safety issues, Kezza came off once because she was more bothered about 'saving hatcam' through some trees than she was in saving herself. So I guess that's just something to be aware of.

And yes we do look like tellytubbies with it on.

:confused: how do you look like teletubbies :eek:
Don't think i'll be going through any trees. have used mine a few times (again for proving the spooks ;)) the batteris are expensive though, am going to try rechargable alkalines. Mine is for motorcyclists/skiers etc and about as long as my hand:eek:

JCWHITE

Visit site
Mine is secured to the front of my helmet with tape or an elastic band and is small.
I look around far too much whilst out, so reviewing is likely to give you a headache!
You can hear very clearly whats being said to the horse,and I normally forget I have it on.
Good fun though and I can see why you could record evidence with it.

EstherYoung

Visit site
:confused: how do you look like teletubbies

Because we've got the Helmet Hero:
270635_1808595695450_1256686644_31557970_4598621_n.jpg

coss

Visit site
i got mine for xmas and my dad did a lot of research into them. I believe it was fairly expensive but mine doesn't do hd as that was out of budget :p i should think it was <£100 but not by much :eek:

Fizz06

Visit site
Would be interested in getting one-looks like fun. What make is yours? Any things I should look for?

rhino

Visit site
Mini DV80 £12. Yes, £12 new! Up to 4 hour record time depending on sd card.

Excuse sound quality during first minute or so, very very windy day and we were moving fast :D

[youtube]-yDgN7sh6H8[/youtube]

Discrete too

edi3.jpg

Last edited:

coss

Visit site
fairly sure mine is a drift - but its not hd, the one lower down than that.
it can take a variety for size sd cards - i've got a spare 4 gig in mine. One thing i've noticed is that you have to stop and restart filming after about 2gig - but that's due to the file format and it takes about 30mins to get that much data. mine comes with a remote and wriststrap so i can start/stop recording from my wrist which is useful :)
rhino - i can't even see where your hatcam is positioned! i do like to be able to see the horse's head/neck in the footage (there is a bracket on mine so you adjust the angle).

rhino

Visit site
rhino - i can't even see where your hatcam is positioned! i do like to be able to see the horse's head/neck in the footage (there is a bracket on mine so you adjust the angle).

Right at front of helmet, below 'silk'! It came with a whole range of different fixing options, and I did have it set a little too high there :)

coss

Visit site
it is very discrete!
I'm trying to work out if i could put mine on my arm (high up) for x-country. Not so sure i'd want mine attached to my head for gallopy/jumpy stuff. Gallopy yes, jumping may be a bit much without lots of tape to hold it on!

Velma

Visit site
Rhino will it fix okay to a fixed peak hat? Have searched for your cam and can't figure out how I would attach it to my hat??

rhino

Visit site
Rhino will it fix okay to a fixed peak hat? Have searched for your cam and can't figure out how I would attach it to my hat??

It comes with a whole array of fixings, one is a baseplate which has slots for fixing a hat band through. As I was using mine for all day rides, and on horses I hadn't ridden before, I just used velcro dots to attach it to my hat (hence it's not as steady as it would have been with a proper fixing). I didn't want to be faffing around trying to remove it/switch it off on an unknown horse!

rhino

Visit site
Great thanks. Think I'll get one - can't moan at that price!! :)

They charge through USB so no expensive batteries needed :) The instructions will probably not be in English but if you google you can find the English translation and there are videos on youtube which help you set the time/date etc if you want them to be seen on screen. I can provide links if needed :)

true dragon

Visit site