Hats

NooNoo59

Visit site
I have today received my copy and there is a very interesting piece on headgear and angles which it can be damaged. A few pages on you have several hunt staff wearing beaglers and on the last page weekly columnist Tessa Waugh also wearing a beagler. I think that Horse and Hound as the major equine publication needs to take a stand on this. What sort of message is it sending to the younger reader. Am I being a boring safety conscious old person or am I bring realistic? Your thoughts

Shay

Visit site
At least you got yours. My copy is still stuck in the post. However - despite you posting this twice and only getting responses to the effect that you had done so.... H&H has long taken the stance that, following the law, what people wear on thier head is thier buisness.

For what it is worth I agree with you. But FEI do not require the wearing of a standard hat in warm up and allow its removal in prize giving. I would prefer that the Sport's primary supervising body took a stand rather than a journalistic body.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If it was a children's magazine I may agree, but it isn't, so I think that reporting events rather that acting as a censor is more important.

NooNoo59

Visit site
All good points! I just find it annoying, do people that wear Beaglers think they are immune from falling off? Is it a fashion statement or vanity?

Skib

sites.google.com
The photo of my grandfather on his best horse #sca 1913 shows him in a Beagler with no strap. Thank you for telling me its proper name!
But he also wore a top hat for hunting. And Pulverman competed in a top hat and red jacket.
The wearing of safety helmets/safety hats for riding is a cultural thing. What was the significance of the Beagler?

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
I have today received my copy and there is a very interesting piece on headgear and angles which it can be damaged. A few pages on you have several hunt staff wearing beaglers and on the last page weekly columnist Tessa Waugh also wearing a beagler. I think that Horse and Hound as the major equine publication needs to take a stand on this. What sort of message is it sending to the younger reader. Am I being a boring safety conscious old person or am I bring realistic? Your thoughts

Difficult one, I grew up with the elastic strap hats and you used to put the strap behind your hairnet when riding in the show ring or even cutting it off so it look neat and tidy. I do think the younger generation are naturally more safety aware. I used to ride my old mare in the summer with no hat when schooling, current horse i own would be a flat no without a hat and any other horse I sit on these days as well. I guess i grew up when society was more care free