Hattie update

Irishcobs

Visit site
Went over to see vet, dad phoned him earlier saying I wasn't happy and wanted to speak to him.
I asked him what is going on and he said he has brought her into season so she can push the fluid out her self with the help of oxytoxins and antibiotics. I asked if he was washed her out and he said no. I told him that I was told the procedure was wash out and send them home. He said some people do that, we all have our own ways.
I then asked if he had washed her out before and after the AIing. And he said no he didn't think there was any need. When I said about the fact she was swabbed with fluid in her uterus with E coli present (what she has now) before the AIing he said that is was less then a ml, and that it wouldn't of mattered. He didn't say why he didn't wash her out afterwards.
I was offered to have her turned out over the road from the clinic but it will be by herself which she won't like and she will still have to be in at night.
So she is coming home tomorrow night, dad didn't want to get her tonight. As I told the vet she is not happy there and is pooing down herself because of it so he won't be able to stop the infection as she keeps re-infecting herself. He agreed therefore competing losing his reason for keeping her there.

So my plan is have her home and take her back so he can scan her in a weeks time to make sure the fluid is reducing. Does that sound like a good idea?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Does this vet have a mobile scanner - or why not just take her to stud and let her get them in foal for you? It will be much less hastle, and kinder on your purse I'm sure.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Vet does have a mobile scanner but I don't have electricity. And she can't go to the stud until she has got rid of the fluid. Also the stud is a 3 hour drive away and she's not the best traveller.

MillionDollar

Visit site
I hope everything turns out ok for you now and Hattie's fluid reduces quickly.

Have to say im so glad i took my mares to the stud, rather than the vets or having it t home, i had so many problems, plus they included the AI with the stud fee and were out 24/7. I did 4 trips there and back and it was 3 hours each way, but TBTH a lot easier even though a long journey.

However, if shes a bad traveller you'll want to leave her there a while after she gets in-foal. Luckily mine are fantastic travellers, Bramble was only 3 days gone when we picked her and Teazle up.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Hattie is going to the stud now. Sunday morning. We had a long talk about it and decided the best thing for Hattie, if we want a foal born next year, is to go to the stud. She is having her own cow pen and barn as she can't be turned out with others.
It would be the first time I have been this far away from her so I hope she doesn't need to be there too long.