Have Had To Abandon The Soaked Oats!!

randira

Visit site
After my quite buzzy horse turned into a foaming snorting idiot overnight (OK we had been on the oats 2 weeks and she's been getting steadily worse). She was squashing me trying to tack up, jumped the mounting block when I tried to get on and we had NO brakes whatsoever. She is on just alfa and carrots and hay until she calms down a bit... I'm sure they work for some - just not for mine, dont know if its her age/temperament (5 1/2 and very go-ey) but one feed does not suit all!!! Good luck guys.

Rach x

the watcher

Visit site
Mine have much more energy since they started on the soaked oats, but not to the extent that they are dangerous so I am guessing that they weren't getting quite enough food before.

SSM

Visit site
OMG I am NEVER taking the Donkey off them then - she will grind to a complete halt - it must be the oats that give her the energy to acutally walk forwards (at her tortoise speed)
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
One of mine has been on the soaked oats for a month now. She is FAT. She's never fat, even in the summer. Normally at this time of year you can see her ribs and her spine. But lovely shiny coat and a cresty neck. I'm having to reduce her feed!!!

I've fed her dry oats before and they didn't make much difference to her temperament so wasn't expecting this to make her mad. She's very spooky anyway and still is.

I'm in the throes of getting her fit for a hunting holiday so I'd expect her to be of whippet stature by now.

I think the warm weather has something to do with it though. And the Readygrass.

randira

Visit site
I was soaking 1/2 a round stubbs scoop of oats and then splitting that into morning and evening feeds - so equivelant of 1/4 scoop of dry. 1/2 scoop alfa, carrots and supplements (vits, seaweed and garlic) plus her usual soaked hay. She is in work , but because of her age it is more 'educational' work rather than physical exhersion. I also found that she was distroying her stable overnight too. She's cold turkey now, so watch this space. The oats might suit her when she is a little older. Rach x

vicm2509

Visit site
I find Baron has more energy with oats but he needs it so it works well for him. Ive been feeding it for quite a few months now and its brilliant, ive actually cut down his feed as he was holding his weight a little too well so cost wise its so much cheaper. Id been spending a fortune on build up cubes and so much energy on trying to improve his muscle tone but since the soaked oats he seems to have changed so much.

I add a little sugarbeet to mine through winter months and also add topline comprehensive supplement.

I wouldnt feed it to a horse with a naturally high amount of energy as oats are high in energy and are known to make some horses uncontrollable no matter how they are fed.

Im totally converted
smile.gif

lucemoose

Visit site
my INCREDIBLY irritating tb/wb has been on them for several months now, he looks fantastic, seen so much more difference in condition and temperment than when he was on baileys no.4. The thing i notice, altho he is also on nupafeed calmer, is that he seems less touchy at home when ridden..ie legs on sides, going into upward transitions..
however at shows he behaves like he ODed on e numbers!
when i first switched onto them, there were a few weeks when i thought i should start funeral planning!am sure there are transitional periods for all feedstuffs??