Have horses changed the direction of your life?

Enfys

Visit site
Did you have plans and change them (directly or indirectly) because of horses?

Or is everything going exactly to plan?

Funny how one little spur of the moment decision 25 years ago alters everything, I'd just ditched husband #1 and I was set to be going off to a job somewhere sunny,expensive and not in Britain :D, one little advert in a shop window for a work rider is all it took to change all my plans.

Last edited:

linperrie

Visit site
Not massively, but a little. I had never owned my own so after living in the inner city for over 10 years with hubby when we moved we both agreed to move somewhere more green which I knew would have yards galore nearby. Once we did that I found a yard I liked, loaned on that and then finally bought my own. I couldn't have done that until we moved house so it was always in the back of my mind!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Not in a dramatic way but having a horse does restrict you in other things due to time and money, so I haven't travelled or done other things I might have if I had more money and less commitment. I think it has restricted my career as I won't take on things that impact on my horsey life too much.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think mine was changed quite dramatically. When I was in school years ago having got good GCSE grades I had started A levels but it was then my parents could no longer help with the costs of my pony as my sister dropped out of our share and wanted her pocket money to spend herself!
I dropped out of school and got a rubbish job. Don't regret keeping the pony to the best of my abilities (and he lived in luxury!) but in hindsight life would be so much easier if I had decent qualifications and experience instead of winging from one not great job to another because they "fit" with keeping my horses.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
In a lot of ways, but the biggest would be when I had a horse that did not do well on livery, so we started looking for somewhere with facilities to keep the horse at home. We had to move about 50 miles, to a cheaper area, and swapped a 1960's 3 bed semi that we struggled to afford for a bigger farmhouse with stables, that left us penniless!
Never regretted the move, well maybe the first year or so when we were cold, damp patches on the wall, no furniture, but not now. Biggest happiness is being able to say goodnight to my boy, feed him breakfast while still in dressing gown and slippers. Best of all at the end of a stressful work day to come home to the middle of nowhere, feel the peace and quiet only broken by the contented munching of hay. Or maybe when next doors cows take the place of a noisy party. No longer have the need for shopping as a pastime, most is now done online (middle of nowhere!).
Highly recommended!