Have I become spoiled by dressage saddles?

Kylara

Visit site
So new pony turned up Tuesday, rode him yesterday and today. Came with a GP saddle which is not uncomfortable but feel like my leg is not even on the flap (don't think it is) and I'm pretty sure the buckles from the girth were digging into my calves.

Now I've been riding in either dressage or jump saddles for quite a while so haven't really ridden in a GP (other than tiny ponies but short stirrups then) but is this an annoyance I have conveniently forgotten or some weirdness with this saddle? I'll be looking for a dressage saddle that will fit a Welsh d type but only the saddle that came with him at the minute is the only one that fits!

So have I become spoiled? Or do I need to hike the stirrups up from dressage length? Or get a smaller girth? Is only on holes 3 one side and 3/4 the other so I'd say about right... Or am I being a soft squishy lump ;) who has forgotten that GPs are annoying on many levels on anything but a small pony!

Kylara

Visit site
There is a guard yes. I do have very thin boots though and the inner is suede as well. It's a bog standard GP so not monoflap or anything and I think it may be because of my leg being in dressage position rather than shorter not quite dressage, not quite jump length. Hmmm, also very odd how the build of the saddle is somewhat pushing the leg more forwards, guess that's the bars being between jump and dressage, been a long while since riding in a GP

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
When you get used to monoflap saddles then I think you can definitely be more aware of the girth buckles under your leg. I know i can feel them more if I have to ride someone else's horse now.
I hate GP saddles too OP, sounds like you'll have to suck it up for a bit though :lol: probably makes sense to hike your stirrups up a tad to allow for the different placement of stirrup bars etc.

Kylara

Visit site
Only ridden in one monoflap but it was lovely ;) I think I'm too used to feeling the closer contact of the dressage panel with no girth!
I'll hike the stirrups up today and see if it makes a difference.
Looking at the flaps there are a few buckle indents so either thinner flap or maybe just fat buckles!
I'll sort out a saddler to come as have a few that need looking at so hopefully can recommend a dressage that will work!